Geometry needs checking - new car (few weeks old)

Arthur Cheung

I went back and the people changed the drivers side front tyre with the passenger's. The steering wheel alignment was better and the weighting when I turned left and right was more even. Before, it seemed lighter turning left.

However, the wheel alignment still was not the same as when I was sitting in the car on the ramp. I called back and said it's still not as centred as it was and they said it sounds like it could be a tyre problem since the issue got slightly better when changing the tyres around. They did say I could book it in another time for another check but I really don't have the time.

Happy because the problem got better but still slightly annoyed because the steering wheel alignment is fully rectified :(

As it's a new car I assume the tyres are new as well, what ones are they and the size?

How far out is the steering wheel? I've have this sometimes and I think it's down to the road surface, how much camber it has and whether all the tarmac is smooth or it's been patched. On some roads the steering wheel will be perfectly straight, on others I might have to hold it at a slight angle.

The tyres on my current car are 225 wide, the widest I've ever had and I've noticed this happening more with the Accord than any other car I've had. Plus I've had asymmetrical tyres (usually have directional) fitted to the front, which are the worst type for tramlining and following every imperfection in the road but I've learnt to live with it now. Plus it's not been as bad now they've scrubbed in properly.

Is the car pulling/any other issues or does it feel fine and it's just the steering wheel that's slightly off?

If the latter, why didn't they just re-align the wheel on the ramp? That's all Tony did with mine when I had a similar issue?