Canon white lenses

I recently bought a secondhand Canon 300mm F2.8L lens for a reasonable price because it had some external paint chip marks & a small ding in the rubber surround.

Optically this lens is amazing, but it looks fairly worn. I read on a photo forum that Halfords can mix up an old Ford colour that's a good match.

Ford cameo beige code no. XSC1658 colour code 0018A

Just got a 100ml bottle mixed up for £9.99 and it is perfect.

It's never going to be spot on because I can't get the dimpled effect but from 2paces away it looks good.

(And the bottle will last for years, but probably not wise to use the supplied paintbrush as it's too big.)

Yep. The company MPB Photographic are very good with their advertising.

They included detailed photos of the wear and ding, and described the overall optical condition too.

I was originally thinking of buying the latest version but it was £5K.

Comparisons between the mk1 & mk2 lenses were favourable and apart from mk2 is slightly lighter,

I decided to look for a decent secondhand mk1 lens for around half price.

2 came up, but one disappeared immediately as it was "Exc++" mine is "Exc"

I would love to do photography full time, but it doesn't pay the mortgage!

My real job is an IT consultant, and photography as a hobby.

Sold photos in the past for travel brochures but one of my passions is Low Fly photography.

Going up to the Mach Loop in Wales in a couple of months to see what flies through.

The RAF do their low level training out of RAF Bala through the mountains.

One of my best shots.

18.jpg

Superb picture....... Can i ask a really dumb question and please don't throw stones because i really don't know but are these lenses made of glass or a plastic composite? 

I hope it's not a dumb question as I don't really know the answer for sure either, but I'm pretty sure it's glass.

I think the general term "glass" would cover it, though the materials in a modern high-performance lens vary quite a bit and some of them are not made of the fused silicates that we normally think of when we say "glass" . The Canon 100-400 lens that has already been mentioned has 17 lens elements. From memory, at least one of the elements is made from fluorite (by crystallising calcium fluoride) and there are several different crystalline substances in the lens including some developed to have ultra low light dispersion characteristics. The elements are put together in such a way that the various aberrations (optical, chromatic etc) are minimised and held close to minimum as the lens is focused, zoomed and aperture-adjusted. The lens is not a very modern one (I've had mine for about 15 years) and recent high-end lenses use even more exotic materials.

I don't know of any high quality photo lenses that use plastics for the optical elements (but that doesn't mean that there aren't any). They are certainly used in cheaper lenses and in filters.

• 2 months later...

I thought there might be some interest in this one that has appeared on the MPB site.

When Canon last made this lens, I believe the list price was £57,000, so it seems to have appreciated quite a bit . . . . . :smile_anim:

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-lenses/used-canon-fit-lenses/canon-ef-1200mm-f56-l-usm-1

Note the mention of the two flourite elements in the lens and the claim that the two crystals from which the elements were made took over a year to grow.

But you have to suspect a publicity exercise.

A pro would need a lens like this once in a blue moon and would be likely to hire rather than buy.

Lots of the big bottles that you see at sports events are hired for the occasion and the manufacturers offer great support to the pros who use their equipment.

It wouldn't surprise me to see it go to some "money-no-object" collector to sit in a glass case rather than take photos.

Really rare photo equipment changes hands for silly prices all the time.

A 1923 Leica sold for $2.79 million in 2012 . . . . :o