steering straight vehicle pulling to the left after geometry

kaz

Hi all

had 4 wheel alignment carried out by my local garage, however the steering is now straight but the vehicle pulls to the left

not sure if this is relevant, front top mounts and bearings have been replaced as well as the complete suspension on the rear right hand side

tyres have plenty tread, 215 45 17 34 set to 34 psi

ford focus 1.6 petrol hatch back 04 plate

geo report...

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/kaz1214/alignment_zps6059e1e1.jpg

any ideas what needs to be done to rectify? the front tie rods do they need to be adjusted further less or more either side?

Cheers

alignment_zps6059e1e1.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you for your response, i am new to all the terminology i was under the impression as it is green rather then red then all is well?  :unsure:

what adjustments would you suggest i advise the technician to adjust to?

cheers

I wish i could but there is no one else local to me that has the equipment as good as this place!  :(

the technicians are friendly enough, the report was given to me with no explanation given of the figures i assumed as they are green all was good 

Kaz. From the way I understand it... and i may be wrong ( Tony is your man for this)

Front caster, camber and toe are all out of given specification.

Also the rear camber and toe are out too.

has your car suffered a knock as the passenger side rear camber is quite high. I presume it's not adjustable of the focus?

Also why is the steering angle diff @ 20 degrees so different from left to right?

Morning Adam

as far as i am aware of the rear pass side has suffered no damage to the vehicle, the vehicle is lowered by 30mm springs only front and back

the reason why the rear driver side complete suspension was replaced was because someone had hit my car while parked up

as far as i am aware of only the toe can be adjusted on the rear

The only human judgement outside of the computers sight is setting the level steering position. If the operator sets it off-line then the machine will tell him to set the ahead position to that. I think you will find the problem is human error. We are not perfect and simple mistakes like this happen and it's for this reason we ask the customer to set the level position whenever possible. Problem is we all have a different perception of "level", sometimes when the owner sets the steering position it looks way off to me?

The only human judgement outside of the computers sight is setting the level steering position. If the operator sets it off-line then the machine will tell him to set the ahead position to that. I think you will find the problem is human error. We are not perfect and simple mistakes like this happen and it's for this reason we ask the customer to set the level position whenever possible. Problem is we all have a different perception of "level", sometimes when the owner sets the steering position it looks way off to me?

It was the technician that set the steering although i must say i didnt check whether it was in it its central position

In basic terms Tony please would you mind explaining the figures to me & what they need adjusting to so when i pop over next weekend I can tell them what to adjust it to...

what figures are really bad? & what are acceptable?

cheers

My only concern is the NSR camber but for the model it's not end of days. If it was the front then that's a different story.

Phew! i'm i correct in saying to get the technician to re-adjust the front toe close to 0.7mm+ either side as possible which i guess is the "best setting"? 0.1mm  or 0.2mm extra or less either side will that make a big difference?

and the same for the rear but 1.3mm+? either side

i was under the assumption as it is in the green zone all was well? i guess i maybe wrong  :unsure:

Within reason they just need to hit the default settings.... Once back on the machine and you have set the "correct" level steering position you will see the NSF toe is positive and the OSF negative once the road wheels are re-set the ahead steering position would be level. 

Within reason they just need to hit the default settings.... Once back on the machine and you have set the "correct" level steering position you will see the NSF toe is positive and the OSF negative once the road wheels are re-set the ahead steering position would be level. 

i'm confused, default settings are they under data? LH +0.7mm & +0.7mm? neither have a negative though? rear is the same but +1.3mm..

below is last years print out and the alignment was acceptable enough with the settings outlined below, how do they compare? would you be happy with the figures below?

lastyear_zpsc20b0831.jpg

They appear fine with the steering off-line hence the values on the print-out. When you set the steering correctly the on screen values will change as described.

Cheers Tony appreciate the advice, i shall get them to match the figures on last years print out!

As i have the st170 alloys on a 1.6 focus with 30mm eibach lowering springs the geometry settings they used were for a standard spec focus, should i get them to use the st170 geo settings even though it is not a st170 chassis? or get them to stick with the standard focus geo settings?