$5 Device that unlocks most cars.......

Tony

This seems to be picking up pace in the 'states and I imagine it won't take long for it to arrive here, if it hasn't already. Best bet would be to not leave anything of any value in your car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=l7OadDz3Ums

Related news link> http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/new-5-device-easily-unlocks-car-doors-for-thieves-in-winnipeg-1.2288826

Anything is possible, it's obviously interfering with the central locking / keyless entry.

I guess it could but can a $5 device really generate the power required? I'm not too hot on vehicle electronics but what exactly is the process - when you hit the button on your key does it just tell the ECU to provide power down the line to the lock?

If so I guess it might work if you could replicate that 12V trigger - but then surely it wouldn't deactivate the alarm as that is still ECU controlled?

most modern central locking mechs use a security token and encryption on a wireless data packet.

the user presses a button on their remote, the key has a chip which then computes this button presses in to a series of 1's and 0's. this is then encrypted and transmitted.

if the car is in range, its receiver picks up the transmission and attempts to decrypt the signal sent from the remote. if ot recognised the encryption and is decrypted correctly the car opens... if not it stays locked

dont think so in the uk as the codes roll . There used to be a device that recorded the signal when you locked the car and so the thief could unlock it after you left , but the rolling code sorted that

Something is happening with Audis though lots of people in the UK reporting on PH break ins to cars with no damage or alarm going off

I'm still not sure, the issue of codes isn't too relevant as I don't think this is working on the ECU. All it is supposedly doing is sending the power to the lock (what the ECU does once it gets the signal it requires from the remote).

However I'm still sceptical that a $5 device could provide the necessary EMP to trigger the lock - would like to see some further investigation done on this.

The other misleading part of the article is that it says if you deactivate keyless entry then they can't do it. That doesn't make sense as based on the explanation you'd need to disable the central locking, the actual remote function isn't coming into the equation at all.