Trolley Jack Leaking

My low profile alloy jack is leaking and takes forever to raise now.

Does anyone know where I can get replacement seals from and are they difficult to take apart? It's a liftmaster one and about 3 years old now.

IMG_20131027_142345.jpg

The trouble is you can't carry those kind of jacks from a flat to outside, that's why I went with an alloy one. If I have to replace it I will get the Arcan from Costco, which is what I originally wanted but they had stopped selling them at the time I got this! :(

Yep I wouldn't call a £100 jack cheap either (how much does a quality one cost?). That's a bit disappointing if it's failed that quickly with limited use, maybe for occasional use it's better to go cheap and cheerful so at least replacing it regularly won't be a worry.

I'd drain it, dismantle it, then take the seals to a local motor factors to match. If you are doing this you need not brake fluid but hydraulic jack fluid as the brake fluid will swell the seals. 

Are you sure it's leaking and not got air in it? I think some have a method to get air out.

If you have the instructions you may be able to find the telephone number of the manufacturer as "Liftmaster" may be a brand.

I will probably get one of these eventually and if I did get problems I'm Costco would have no problem in sorting it out.

I have looked at these in the flesh and although they look the same, they are larger and heavier than the one I have. The non ally ones are just too heavy for home use I think, especially pulling it across gravel!

I would still prefer to repair the one I have if I can.

I'd drain it, dismantle it, then take the seals to a local motor factors to match. If you are doing this you need not brake fluid but hydraulic jack fluid as the brake fluid will swell the seals. 

Are you sure it's leaking and not got air in it? I think some have a method to get air out.

If you have the instructions you may be able to find the telephone number of the manufacturer as "Liftmaster" may be a brand.

I don't have any instructions, not sure if came with any?  :unsure: I think this is their website and I sent a message but it bounced back!

Yes it's leaking, you can see the oil in the photo.

Telephone - 08719180861

Or wholesale - 0161275646   could be worth a try.

That email looks like a duffy, not very professional. ...... @me.com ????

Seems to be an Apple based email address? I don't get why companies have the domain name but don't setup an email from it!!

Or Google Fang & Associates in Warrington ;)

Interesting - so this company makes the jacks?

I've no doubt they're big, my question was whether it was Chinese. And from that link I'm inclined to think it is, it doesn't say where factory is, and describes themselves as the supplier in the UK for these products.

I got an email back saying they sell complete power units that I can swap over for £25 delivered. Gave me a paypal address starting with chungwen, so it does sound like a Chinese outfit.

So do I get that or put the money towards the Arcan jack. I'm not sure if I would get anything for this jack selling it as faulty although I can now say you can buy a new part.

To add - I would get another 2 year warranty on the part and they're pre-filled with oil.