quick rant..

adam_r

well... still shaking from this morning commute... and i think its about time i invest in a camera for my bike.

Im not one of these uber agressive cyclists that cycle in the middle of the road, im quite happy to try and live with other motorist on the road, give them pleanty of space and if necassary pull over to let lorrys pass :)

this morning.. a certain lorry driver almost killed me, no joke.

cycling 10m miles to work, i was less than 3 minutes from my work and a lorry pulls out on a roundabout without properly looking and does a very similar thing to this :

btw thats not my vid.. but i was put in the same situation.after seeing a short bit of my life flash infront of my eyes i hot heel him to the next set of lights to ask him WTF he was thinking.

sure enough he said he didnt look and see me... down decended the red mist and i lost it, tried opening his cab to get him out to show him how it feels to be inches from his fully loaded trailer wheels..

after him looking rather scared and locking his door i said some very choice words and told him to LOOK before he pulls out and not to expect every cyclist to be doing 10mph (i cycle at 20 - 25mph).

I should have taken his licence plate and reported him, but my brain was not screwed on quite right..

Sorry for this thread but i just needed to get this mornings almost death experiance off my shoulders :(.

In that Vid the cyclist had terrible road positioning , not that the actions of the trucker were excusable

I got hit by a truck when i was a teenager he clipped me and i went off the road into bushes and brambles , had to take 2 weeks off work

I've just bought a Blackvue camera system for the car

liner, yes the cyclist in that video for some unknown reason cannot use the cycle lane :rolleyes: .

i never understand how these agressive cyclists (jackjones on youtube) get away with such sh*t cycling. they ride in almost the middle of the road for no reason then shout at drivers when the pass within several feet of them... idiots.

I always cycle within 1m of the curb (which is stated in the highway code) and am considerate to other road users. I even had a lorry driver flash his hazards at me when i pulled in to let him pass safely.

BTW how much did the blackvue camera work out for the car ?

Sounds scary, glad you're ok though mate, that's the main thing.

This is one reason why I won't cycle anymore, too many idiots on the road. A guy I used to work with 15 years ago knocked a cyclist over cos he didn't look and broke both his legs. I remember he had to go to court for dangerous driving and got a big fine I think.

It's so easy to not see cyclists though, I've done it a couple of times when I've gone to pull out after thinking it's all clear only to spot them coming as I move forward. I've been no where near as close as that lorry in the video though. I had a cyclist squeeze past me this morning, the road splits into 2 lanes at a roundabout. The majority want to turn right but I go left and it's quite tight so have to be close to the kerb. The cyclist shot up past me when I was about to move into the left lane but luckily I always check my wing mirror and saw him.

Yes some cyclists can be stupid buggers going up the inside before a left turn... it fustrates me seeing idiots like this as it gives us a bad name.

with the lorry driver saying he didnt see me.. well on the front of my bike i have a handle bar mounted 3w (400 lumen) LED light that i set on 'flash' which does Flash - wait 1/2 second Flash... wait 1 sec then repeats itself... i also have a helmet mounted light which is a 1500 lumen which i have on the 'ON' mode which is angled to about 20 feet infront of the bike but it very easy to spot being 1500 lumens!

I also have reflective spokes and 3 rear lights!

you can never be 'bright' enough being a cyclist and i may be forced to buy another 1500 lumen light to sit next to my other handlebar light. but for £18 they are not exactly expensive :D

Sounds like a scary experience so glad you weren't hurt. Hope the lorry driver has learnt his lesson and will pay more attention going forward - simply not looking is inexcusable.

As a motorist I don't have too much of a problem with cyclists, it's as a pedestrian in central london that I find them potentially lethal.