Pressures on Winter Tyres

Rich

Should they be the same as summer tyres or higher/lower? I usually have mine at 30psi, which I think is what the handbook says. I upped them to 32psi to try out and it feels like it's lost abit of grip, as the contact patch has now been reduced I think?

• 1 month later...

I dropped my normal tyres to 15psi in the snow and tyre got me home.......Just.

Do you use winter tyres?

Whilst I accept they will give a little more grip in cold conditions, I'm not sure we have the climate (in our part of the country) to *need* them enough to warranty the cost?

I don't live to far from work to justify winters. If the snow is to bad to get in then so will the traffic so what's the point.

Indeed. I have the option to work from home anyway. So the expense (not just tyres, but more rims, and storage) isn't, IMHO, justified.  As said, they may/do offer improvement, but are not a necessity. IMHO, of course.

I use the same pressure as summer on my snow tyres, unless your seeing a wide variation from day to night time temparatures,( which we don't tend to get in this country in winter.) then you might want to run them a bit higher during the day. If you need to get to work and you drive a light rear wheel drive car they're a good investment. FWD unless in Scotland I wouldn't bother.

I drove a car to WIM today with summer tyres, albeit all 4 were a different brand and even in the slush we had they were terrible, no grip at all. The car was going there for handling issues and it turns out the tyres are to blame. However, after getting back into mine with winter tyres the difference was night and day. In the other car even on a slight incline the car was sliding in the slush after stopping!

As for the pressures I've still got them on 30psi and they're wearing even so think I will leave them at that.

I use the same 35 psi tyre pressure all round on the IS200 for both the summer and winter tyres. My wife drives the IS200 every day and I like the peace of mind I have due to having winter tyres on her car as the difference in grip when the temperatures are below -7 degrees C is very noticable on a rear wheel drive. When we have low temperatures, snow and/or ice I share the IS200 and my IS-F stays in the garage. 417 bhp and reduced grip is more excitement than I need at my age  :whistle: .