Car manufactures fading out spare tyres

Rich

We already know this but it seems alot of people are getting caught out with new cars when they get a flat and having to call a breakdown company.

I think it's madness to not include a spare wheel and I will certainly base future car buying decisions on whether they have one or not. Or at least the well to put one in.

The missus cousin got a flat on his Gen 8 Civic and there was no spare so he had to take the wheel off, get a lift to the tyre place and a new one fitted. If you have no one to give you that lift you're stuffed!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2228999/David-Derbyshire-Why-dont-cars-spare-tyres-more.html

It was law that you must have a means to get off the motorway in the event you get a flat. I know they give you a tin of repair spray but this won't help with a blowout.

You don't legally have to carry a spare wheel though. I've seen people mention on other forums they remove the spare wheel to reduce the weight in the car and carry a can of tyre weld. That's all very well until you get a blowout like you say and have no choice but to call for help. Even a space saver is better than nothing.

the space saver in the '5 is poxy but its enough - i cant see what the big deal is to be honest. Its the jacking up that's the dangerous part as you are exposed on the road potentially in the dark.

If anything they should develop a system whereby the average joe can initiate a wheel change with as least physical force as necessary. Air jacks on each corner and quick release bolts?

Pie in the sky methinks at this moment in time.

The spare tyre was a £50 option on both our Skoda's

Truth be told having to change a wheel by the side of the road is a rare occurrence nowadays , the last time I did it was around '97 when I had a blow out on the motorway.

Its far more common you will blow a bulb or a fuse but unlike the continent we dont have to carry spares of them

Last time I changed a wheel this happened! :o The time before that was around 10 years ago due to a blowout on the M11 and I had a puncture from a nail about 5 years ago but I changed that wheel at work. I would rather have a spare than be stranded somewhere. Especially if your mobile is flat or there's no signal.

post-438-1294671775.jpg