I think I'm in love

liner33

Just seen this car up for sale , I'm going to see it at the weekend although the Evo hasnt sold yet

It was built by Andy Saunders

Nice retro. I'm old enough to remember when the 3 litre Capri was introduced and a mate bought one brand new. It was the fastest thing I'd been in at that time.

I do like Capri's , don't see them on the road anymore :(

Back when i was 19 or 20 i owned this baby a tuned 3.1 llump in a 3.0l GXL , ALWAYS loved them

When insurance was a reasonable price for young drivers!! :lol:

When insurance was a reasonable price for young drivers!! :lol:

Not really i paid £933 third party only

I earned £280 per month back in 87 when i owned it

However got a quote on this one and including legal protection , national and international breakdown fully comp its £350 per year

When insurance was a reasonable price for young drivers!! :o

However got a quote on this one and including legal protection , national and international breakdown fully comp its £350 per year

Wow! Quite surprised at that price considering it was 25 years ago.

Going by that figure insurance quotes for young people of that age today are probably right. Many would earn £280 a week now.

Then again I suppose the cost of the insurance was offset by the price of fuel and tax 25 years ago, which I think was around 40p a litre.

When insurance was a reasonable price for young drivers!! :o

Wow! Quite surprised at that price considering it was 25 years ago.

Going by that figure insurance quotes for young people of that age today are probably right. Many would earn £280 a week now.

Then again I suppose the cost of the insurance was offset by the price of fuel and tax 25 years ago, which I think was around 40p a litre.

I think road tax was around £100 and fuel around 55p per litre back then but think of what the wages were like, i wasnt especially badly paid at the time and had low living expenses but couldnt really afford it

How did the viewing go then :o

Well

The car was up for £10k more or less , its not been driven since being restored well only from dealer to dealer . It sold at Bonhams auction at the Goodwood Revival last year for £12500 *

The dealer who bought it then traded it in March with the dealer where it currently sits

Good points is its pretty much all there , tax exempt and lots of history back into the 80's including all the restoration , its in pretty good shape

Bad points

Its been sat for ages the fuel was off and it ran like a dog , tappets needed doing but its a recently rebuilt engine so to be expected , brakes were poor but then they always were , minor oil leak from gearbox and the interior is very tired .

Incorrect clocks had been fitted from a 2.0litre instead of 3.0l so rev counter was out and a few of them didnt work

Boot lock broken

Battery insecure

minor marks in the paint that "could" be contamination from spraying but also could be rust :D

bonnet needed respray - satin black doesnt last , probably best to wrap it

Still thinking about it though but can i spend £10k on a car with so many problems ??

*http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page/148704/1970-ford-capri/

hmm the clocks would put me right off :whistle:. they the restorer could not fit the correct clocks, then what else have they skimped on ?

When we restored my fathers 1953 MG TD, We made sure EVERYTHING was original. cost wasnt so much of an issue as a classic car restored to 'factory' is worth alot more than a car that has been 'done up'.

we spent a good few days sourcing a wood trim for the car... and the only one we could find that was original was from an owner in the states who had to ship it to us... probaly one of the most expensive bits and you only see it when the doors open.

for £10k you dont want a half finished job IMHO

Clocks have been changed since restoration , i guess they were faulty in some way. They look identical and you wouldnt know until you fitted them and found the rev counter was 50% out for obvious reasons

Originality doesnt really come into it with this car its customised

yeah , apart from the rust really , they are cheap and easy to work on , very basic

I was let down my the guy coming to see the Evo , (no surprise) and the trader may be interested in it but we will see