Look what arrived

Rich

Just under 80 quid delivered :D

When the centre is open, any chance I could borrow your spring compressors if I bring the struts down please? :D

Actual date i'm not sure... The plant is booked for 3rd March onwards..... Of course you can use the compressors etc :D

• 4 months later...

These are fitted and getting the geometry done tomorrow as the car is VERY nervous now! I will post up the geo report as I think most of the figures will be in the red! :unsure: Not nice to drive now that's for sure :(

camber_kit1.jpg

camber_kit2.jpg

Also here's the reason I fitted them :mellow:

camberwear.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just to update this thread...the top plates I got with the kit are too thin and bend, causing handling/steering issues when cornering.

camber_plate4.jpg

I contacted Eibach who knew about the problem and they got SPC (the company that makes the kit) to ship over some uprated ones that had been made. All future kits will include the new plates, which have another plate welded to them making them thicker.

They only sent me one side though so need to wait for the other to arrive before I can tell if they've made a difference. The side I fitted is now nice and tight though, whereas before the nut couldn't be done up anymore before the plate was tight, so it was loose and could be turned by hand :rolleyes:

camber_plate1.jpg

camber_plate3.jpg

That's more like it :) ....... Typical they only one :rolleyes:

Do you think the colour change means they've used a different metal? Even without the extra plate on top the bottom part looks slightly thicker than the other one.

The guy I was dealing with was off end of last week, a colleague contacted me for address to send the kit to and then he emailed me this morning asking how many mounts I need. So I think they've messed up somewhere...just hope they have the other side in the country!!

Do you think the colour change means they've used a different metal? Even without the extra plate on top the bottom part looks slightly thicker than the other one.

The guy I was dealing with was off end of last week, a colleague contacted me for address to send the kit to and then he emailed me this morning asking how many mounts I need. So I think they've messed up somewhere...just hope they have the other side in the country!!

Looks to me like the same plate doubled up and welded :)

Looks to me like the same plate doubled up and welded :)

That's what they said but it felt alot heavier than the other one...more than double the weight IMO, so with the colour change I thought they might be made from something different. As long as they do the job though :)

i would presume the new colour scheme is to protect the welds from rusting !

the original one looks almost aluminium or some kind of alloy which would explain the weight difference

i would presume the new colour scheme is to protect the welds from rusting !

the original one looks almost aluminium or some kind of alloy which would explain the weight difference

Never thought of that :thumbsup_anim:

Yeah I'm fairly certain the old plate is alloy, it's very light so can't think what else it would be.

got a couple of questions regarding the strut removal...

if the pinch bolt breaks is it best to use a stud extractor /easy out or just drill the bolt out completely?

if i have to drill the pinch bolts out what size drill bit do i use ?

i have some m10 x 70mm HT bolts and nyloc nut ready just in case.

well i managed to ease both pinch bolts out in preparation for fitting the kit.

i soaked them last week in plus gas and again this afternoon and once they started to move sprayed some more and with a tighten and loosen motion managed to get them out.

i cleaned the thread and put a smear of copperslip on them and refitted for now.

well pleased. :o

well i managed to ease both pinch bolts out in preparation for fitting the kit.

i soaked them last week in plus gas and again this afternoon and once they started to move sprayed some more and with a tighten and loosen motion managed to get them out.

i cleaned the thread and put a smear of copperslip on them and refitted for now.

well pleased. :D

Well done mate :)

I thought you were gonna have aggro doing them when you said the other end of the bolt wasn't moving the other day. Should come out nice and easy with the copperslip on :o

Well done mate :D

I thought you were gonna have aggro doing them when you said the other end of the bolt wasn't moving the other day. Should come out nice and easy with the copperslip on :o

i thought so too but after cleaning the crap off the end i realised it was moving which was encouraging.

• 1 year later...

Well the wear is back, albeit the otherside and not as bad as the tyre in the original post. The tyres need changing soon so again by the time the wear has developed it's new tyre time anyway! :laughingsmiley:

For those wondering the wear is on the other side as Tony had to set more camber on one side compared to the other to help bring the castor angle in more and help keep the car stable over bumps. The car hasn't handled right for a long time, with all the settings that have been tried so we're giving it one more shot with this kit, if the camber/castor won't optimise properly it's coming off. At least then my castor angle will be back to where it should be and I'll just have to live with the wear.

If this does happen I'll buy some new top mounts first rather than reuse the originals, which have 150k miles on them and then sell the kit. Although my experiences may put some buyers off! :nowink:

tyre_wear_01.jpg