Uniroyal, Maxxis and Falken Tyres

Rich

Uniroyal Rainexpert

Maxxis MA Z1

Maxxis MA Z4S Victra

Falken ZE912

Who has used the above tyres before?

The Uniroyal get excellent reviews and the others aren't far behind. I've used Falken 452 before but hated them in the wet so reluctant to buy them again. So I'm not 100% sure about the ZE912 yet, especially being asymmetric, they might tramline.

I'm looking for both the Civic and Corolla, plus these will be used only in the summer.

ER.

I rate the ZE912's highly. I use them as my 'winter tyres' because here on the south coast we dont get much of the white stuff!

so far they have been on the rims for over 3 years, the winter wheels are put on in october time and then visit the garage around April time... so between 6-7 months use a year.

I have calculated i have done approx 18 - 20k miles on them and they are down to about 3/4 mm on the front and a crazy 5-6mm on the rears (i swapped these over this winter so the 5-6 mm is now 4.5-5mm) and the rears should be about the same.

The are on the Diesel accord with 182bhp to put down through the wheels as well as steering to deal with and they cope very well .

dry grip is very good (and i do like my corners), wet traction 'can' be an issue if you really provoke the fronts to do something stupid.

Pro's - cheap tyre thats from a good brand - I saw them fitted to a fezza so i thought if it was good enough for him, its good enough for me! - friends has the fitted to his 300zx TT (running 350bhp) and he cannot stop raving about them.

con's - well I suppose they are more expensive than budgets, deep standing water is a nono and the steering is pulled about a bit (im talking 3+ inches deep at motorway speeds (i forgot about a certain part of road when it was hammering it down)

Overall im a very happy bunny, they last well (even with my driving) and they grip very well.

im considering getting these to replace my Vredenstine Ultrac Sessantas on my summer wheels as they only do between 12k - 15k ;)

***EDIT***

Im deffinately going with ZE912's as my summer tyres now...

225/45/17 - ze912's = £68.80 each

225/45/17 - sessantas = £99 each :o!!!

thats £110 difference! for all 4

Nice review Adam, just what I'm looking for. Some of the ones I've read have also mentioned the wet issue, which I also found with the 452. That's alot of mileage you've got for that size as well, I could never get more than 10k miles from the fronts on various tyres I used. Where did you find them for that price?

I had decided to get the Uniroyal for the Civic to see just how good they are. The price of these compared to the 912 is similar though, maybe being £5 cheaper a tyre. I will have to see what price BB can do them at.

to throw another one in the mix, quite a few people on the accord forum / saab forum run these : Neuton NT5000's

and swear by them.... even the ones running high performance figures

Wow, reviews for those are excellent, although in total the reviewers have covered 70k miles.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Neuton/NT5000.htm

ER

the ZE 912's for my winter wheels (16's) are priced at £52.60 :o

I normally buy my tyres from camskill (sorry Tony ;) ) and get them fitted and the car geo done at the local garage that i can book at from the BB website.

H rated ZE912 are £43.40 on there in a 15" but then you have to add postage and fitting, so probably £60 max per tyre.

Still not sure what size to go for on mine as I can have 205/40/17, 215/45/17 or 225/45/17...the last 2 will make the speedo more accurate but the first is cheaper, the tyres on the rims ATM are also this size.

if its a standard 17" rim, then 215/45/17 is correct... however i fit 225/45/17 on my current summer wheels and they look fine and dont stick out past the rim..

Im half tempted to fit a 235/45/17 on next go round as then i get some rim protection.

Stock size 195/55/16 and if I stick with the 205/40/17 that are on the wheels the speedo will read about 4mph under. If I get 215/45/17 the speedo will read slightly over (0.4mph) but I could get 205/45/17 to make it read slightly under, although this is a weird size and prices tend to be high.

Can't find those Neuton NT5000's anywhere.

205/45/17 to make it read slightly under, although this is a weird size and prices tend to be high.

;)

Tell me about it...these are the size the MINI takes. Crazy difference between a 205/40 and 205/45!

Stock size 195/55/16 and if I stick with the 205/40/17 that are on the wheels the speedo will read about 4mph under. If I get 215/45/17 the speedo will read slightly over (0.4mph) but I could get 205/45/17 to make it read slightly under, although this is a weird size and prices tend to be high.

We can source the Neuton NT5000 ER, thats the directional pattern, they also do an assimetrical pattern, the NT8000. When you decide on the size chuck me a PM and I'll get you some prices together

I've the Uniroyal RainExpert on the front of the Mondeo. They're a good gripping tyre, but handling isn't great due to the soft sidewalls. You get mushy steering, and should wear, even with 2PSI over book pressures. I'm not sure I'd get them again - I think I'd spend the extra tenner a tyre and get Bridgestones again.

As for Falken, had the ZE512 and 912 on Dad's Mazda, and while they were OK they wore like fury. They were gone within 6k on the front, and that's with a 65 year old man and 62 year old woman driving. They've had Hankooks on it recently and they're lasting about 4 times longer than the Falkens, and didn't cost any more, and have similar grip. Falken are barely a step up from Wanli and all that other Chinese pish IMHO.

We can source the Neuton NT5000 ER, thats the directional pattern, they also do an assimetrical pattern, the NT8000. When you decide on the size chuck me a PM and I'll get you some prices together

Could you supply a price for:

235/45/17

&

225/45/17

on either the nt5000 or nt8000

thank you ;)

I've the Uniroyal RainExpert on the front of the Mondeo. They're a good gripping tyre, but handling isn't great due to the soft sidewalls. You get mushy steering, and should wear, even with 2PSI over book pressures. I'm not sure I'd get them again - I think I'd spend the extra tenner a tyre and get Bridgestones again.

As for Falken, had the ZE512 and 912 on Dad's Mazda, and while they were OK they wore like fury. They were gone within 6k on the front, and that's with a 65 year old man and 62 year old woman driving. They've had Hankooks on it recently and they're lasting about 4 times longer than the Falkens, and didn't cost any more, and have similar grip. Falken are barely a step up from Wanli and all that other Chinese pish IMHO.

912's lasted 18,000 miles on my mums Fabia VRS , I had Falken 451's on the front of my old Skyline and they wore well and were pretty grippy even coped with track use I now have 452's on my Octy VRS and they are ok , not a patch on the 451's and not as good in the dry as the Eagle F1's that they replaced very good in the wet

I rate them highly

I think I might try the 912 then, I won't write the brand off over one tyre they make but I don't want to get them and end up hating them!

I'll be sorting the Civic out first so I'll PM you Joe nearer the time as I probably won't get them until the end of the month now. My wheels won't be going on until the end of next month I'd imagine. I'm definitely swaying towards the Neuton NT5000 though, it's just a shame there aren't more reviews.

It's a shame about this review for the NT8000, some people are just idiots!!

I read the prevoius feedback on other models of tyre, As i was skint i took a gamble on these and honestally can say im glad i did as i was WOWed. Thease tyres changed the handling on my car, it seems when i wanted to turn the steering felt so responsive and more free. Driveing doing a ton down motorways in the sleet and rain and they was no aquaplaining at all.

I was doing almost 150mph on Saturday through standing water, in the rain , good test for the Eagle F1's in have fitted :huh:

They were excellent, struggled a little with flooring it at 30mph but coped fantastic when braking

I was doing almost 150mph on Saturday through standing water, in the rain , good test for the Eagle F1's in have fitted :suicide_anim:

They were excellent, struggled a little with flooring it at 30mph but coped fantastic when braking

:huh: Now that's what i call faith in your tyres!

Yeah on a runway , my Evo has Asymmetric 1 's on it 225/45/17 iirc

They are far from new but did a cracking job considering , I really wanted to hit 150mph but I darent push it any further in the rain as stopping wasnt easy but got very very close with 149.94mph gps verified (With a Vbox not my Garmin) , was over 160 on the speedo and the car is only geared for 152 or so

ca44b1ef.jpg