Puncture on a RFT

S2IM

Got a bloomin nail straight through the middle of the front left tyre on the MINI. Tyre is as flat as a dodo 0psi. If i pump it up it goes down straight away.

Can these be repaired as its a run flat? Or do I need to replace?

Will WIM fit non-run flats onto my tyres if I decide to have a complete change? Looking at either replacing all with Toyo T1R's or Conti Sport Contact 3's.

Cheers

Iain

We don't repair runflats, very few garages do. Because of the reinforced sidewall its impossible to tell what kind of internal damage has been done while its been under-inflated. I think there's a horror of the week thread relating to when they get repaired and go wrong!!

We've been taking the RFT's off of BMW's etc. for a while now. Only ever had positive feedback about it.

As well as the four new tyres, the geometry needs to be tweaked to take away as much rear camber as possible, to cope with the new flexability in the tyres sidewalls

Thanks Joe,

I've read nothing but bad reviews on RFT's and handling and coming from my old car, they are very skittish, give a hard ride and tramline all over the road so happy to get rid depending on price.

Can you PM me a couple of prices please and availability for a GEO as well as the fitting?

Tyres are 205/45/17 84v I believe. There's a BMW approved non RFT on a Conti Sport Contact 3 as above and could i have a price for another option such as the Falken FK452 and Toyo T1R.

Also a price for a replacement Dunlop RFT.

Cheers :D

I thought Bridgestone and Michelin now approve their run-flats being repaired as long as they haven't been driven beyond the recommended distance or over the recommended speed (think it's 100 miles and 50mph).

I think finding someone to do it though might be difficult - surely the onboard computers should now have something to log the distance/speed travelled once the tyre pressure warning is activated to make this repair process more scientific?

In case you are thinking of sticking with RFTs, my brother swapped the Bridgestone ones on his Z4 for Michelin PS2s and it has completely transformed the car, now far more comfortable, tramlining is practically gone and the handling is much improved.

For me personally I'm not comfortable driving a car on normal tyres with no spare - I find it bad enough in the Merc which has a spacesaver meaning there's nowhere to put the massive standard wheel if you need to change it.......

Thanks Joe,

I've read nothing but bad reviews on RFT's and handling and coming from my old car, they are very skittish, give a hard ride and tramline all over the road so happy to get rid depending on price.

Can you PM me a couple of prices please and availability for a GEO as well as the fitting?

Tyres are 205/45/17 84v I believe. There's a BMW approved non RFT on a Conti Sport Contact 3 as above and could i have a price for another option such as the Falken FK452 and Toyo T1R.

Also a price for a replacement Dunlop RFT.

Cheers :D

PM sent!

I thought Bridgestone and Michelin now approve their run-flats being repaired as long as they haven't been driven beyond the recommended distance or over the recommended speed (think it's 100 miles and 50mph).

I think finding someone to do it though might be difficult - surely the onboard computers should now have something to log the distance/speed travelled once the tyre pressure warning is activated to make this repair process more scientific?

In case you are thinking of sticking with RFTs, my brother swapped the Bridgestone ones on his Z4 for Michelin PS2s and it has completely transformed the car, now far more comfortable, tramlining is practically gone and the handling is much improved.

For me personally I'm not comfortable driving a car on normal tyres with no spare - I find it bad enough in the Merc which has a spacesaver meaning there's nowhere to put the massive standard wheel if you need to change it.......

Bridgestone are quite vague on the whole subject, but all the other manufacturers take a strog stance on it. Either way, like you said, until Tyre Pressure Monitoring systems advance, it's impossible to tell how long the tyre has been run, and to big a risk to take a customers word on. So replacement is the only option.

It'll be worth it. Hated how the RFT's make the car drive. Its hard to explain unless you drive one with them. Excellent turn in, but traction is crap, noisey,you feel every bump, they are expensive, tramlining, light steering, no confidence in the bends as the tyres just snap when they go. This is of course IMO and a lot of other MINI owners over on TM. There are clearly huge benefits in them, but nothing a can of tyre repair, compresser and a AA membership wont cover off.

I read up on reviews before making the choice :)

Hopefully get enough to cover the Geo!

Car is running great! Much more improved. Confidence in the bends and the power can get down in the first two gears :) The poor old geo settings didn't help with the stability of the car either according to the chaps.

So much quieter.

Joe let me know about the old run flats as discussed :D