Alloy wheel nuts

Rich

The Toyota, Honda and Ford all have 12x1.5 wheel nuts but what I would like to know is can I swap these between the makes? Does it depend on what alloys the car has...I think you can't use nuts for standard alloys on aftermarket ones?

I have some alloy nuts from the Mondeo that I want to use on the Corolla with the new wheels, is there any reason why I can't do this? Obviously you have the length and width of the outer nut to think about and whether it fits the alloy nut hole. There is also the seat shape to consider, flat, curved etc.

Also I will get some McGard locking nuts (I sold the ones on the Mondeo!) but they do different types, how do I know what I need?

I'm just abit worried about the nuts coming loose if they do turn out to be incorrect.

If the thread size is the same then check the seat shape. Generally the angle of taper is different.

If the seat shape is the same the put one on finger tight and see if the socket will fit over the nut whilst it's on the wheel.

h

If the thread size is the same then check the seat shape. Generally the angle of taper is different.

If the seat shape is the same the put one on finger tight and see if the socket will fit over the nut whilst it's on the wheel.

h

Yes I'll be trial fitting one to see how the nuts sit in the holes and if the socket fits over. I'm also trying to find out what the seat shape is on the rims I've bought, how would I know?

ER the seat shape is very different from honda / toyota to other manufacturers .

i know this as i want black wheel nuts for my car, but the only way this is possible is to buy NSX-R wheel nuts :).

Surely that only applies to the standard alloys and nuts though not aftermarket ones, they wouldn't be made by Toyota/Honda. The Ford nuts I've got are for aftermarket alloys, here's a photo of them.

DSC_2873.jpg

ahh if its AM parts, then you need to make sure the taper on the nut is identical to the seat on the alloy wheel..

i am not fussed about the hex side, i would be more concerned with the taper :D

if the tapers differ then stay well away as it puts undo stree on the studs / alloys and have been known to shear off.

btw nice bit of clevage on the woman.... not that i was looking :)

Is there a way of measuring the nut taper and seat on the wheel though? How could I be 100% sure they fit perfectly as I wouldn't be able to see. Or is it a case of if there's no movement in the wheel it will be fine?

This is what I'm worried about, the studs shearing off if the nuts are wrong, especially at speed! I've read about alloy (mine are steel) nuts coming loose or breaking off as well, guess they're too soft?

• 2 weeks later...

I tried one of the above nuts on the wheels today, it fits ok I think, looking from inside the wheel the taper sits flush around the hole but gonna get this checked at WIM first to make sure. Only issue is there isn't much space around the nut so a socket might not fit but I haven't tried yet.

The holes are badly scuffed so I guess the guy I bought them from had this problem. Can you buy slim sockets, are they any good or more prone to breaking? If not I'll have to get some of these

The holes are badly scuffed so I guess the guy I bought them from had this problem. Can you buy slim sockets, are they any good or more prone to breaking? If not I'll have to get some of these

I've had chrome wheel nuts like those and they look good for a few months then start to tarnish.

After a year they look crap.

I had a similar problem with the holes on my OZ Ultraleggera's getting scuffed so I bought a

sleeved wheel nut socket from Halfrauds.

I took some photos of the nuts and I think they're fine, what do you guys think? The taper sits in the hole fine so I just need to get some locking nuts, I might get some of the tuner ones. Shame I sold my McGards cos they would've fit these! :rolleyes:

wheel_nut_01.jpg

wheel_nut_02.jpg

wheel_nut_04.jpg

I've had chrome wheel nuts like those and they look good for a few months then start to tarnish.

After a year they look crap.

I had a similar problem with the holes on my OZ Ultraleggera's getting scuffed so I bought a

sleeved wheel nut socket from Halfrauds.

I had chrome nuts on the Mondeo and they did the same

Here is the socket in the hole, not much room! That sleeved one is a good idea, I need a 19mm and they're on Amazon for £9.50 delivered so I will get one of those :o

wheel_nut_03.jpg

Can anyone recommend some locking nuts? I found these on ebay and asked what they were made from, they said zinc, which I don't think is as strong as steel? Or will they be ok as the other nuts are steel?

Or I've seen these, which I think are steel but finished in zinc. The only thing I'm not sure of is will the key be too wide to fit the holes. Would tuner locking nuts look strange fitted with normal nuts?

So using 19mm hex nuts is fine when OEM is 21mm?

The only thing I'm worried about with getting the McGard locking nuts is the key might be too wide to fit the hole. Are they usually the same size as a normal socket? I can't remember from when I had them on the Mondeo.

• 4 weeks later...

The McGard locking nut key is a perfect fit and I mean it fits like a glove, it's very snug! I'm abit worried this might be too snug though. You can turn it around in the hole but there is no gap around it at all. With the normal nuts and the 19mm socket you can wobble that about slightly so it has room. What do you guys think, will these be ok to use?

mcgard_key.jpg

There's plenty of space around the nuts even though they're not tuner ones, it's the locking key might be the problem. I think I might be better off replacing all of the nuts with tuner style ones. Why can't they just make everything the same! ;)

Can I have a definite answer on this please, will that locking key be ok in the hole? I've seen some tuner nuts for sale but they use the same width key as the locking one so I'm not really sure what to do. I'm not keen on using those nuts that need a large allen key to undo as I've read they can split.

I decided to email McGard as I wasn't getting much help here! :blush:

The tool for the spline nuts is the same width as the widest part of the nut, so 0.8". The standard key size is 1" wide so I will have an extra 0.2" of space around the tool. Doesn't sound like much.