No roll bar.....

Tony

Tony, the roll bars are in the hoops behind the headrests.

the S2000 is designed to roll on the bonet and windscreen as the engine at the front.

On the S2000 forum people have walked away from much more wrecked cars than that... i would guess this is is a freak / very unfortunate crash and rip to the chap who lost his life :D

It has rollover hoops behind the seats - but I agree with you I've often thought that manufacturers are pretty stupid when designing the height of those.

Fine if you're my height, but anyone taller and your head is way over them. Often noticed on top gear that clarkson's head is over the level of most rollover hoops/bars which makes them completely pointless. Obviously they harm the lines of the car, but then you need an SL style pop up bar.

Seems a real shame as the damage to the car makes it look as though the crash wasn't that serious, probably simply that he was too tall and suffered head injuries. The passenger only suffered minor injuries, and I'd guess that he simply wasn't as tall.

I'm with Tony, they're completely inadequate. You can see from the picture it's completely inline with the top of the headrest, and for anyone who is 6ft+ that is just too low as their head will be over it.

I think the ones in my brothers Z4 are too low too, but at least they clear the top of the headrest by about 4" so it offers a slight amount of tolerance.

I may have to repeat myslef on this one as i dont think i made it clear enough....

Honda designed this car to roll on its bonnet / windscreen. the engine is upfront forcing the car to end up with the passanger cell off the floor.

scrappers hate scrapping s2000's because the A pillar is so strong its a night mare to cut.

I may have to repeat myslef on this one as i dont think i made it clear enough....

Honda designed this car to roll on its bonnet / windscreen. the engine is upfront forcing the car to end up with the passanger cell off the floor.

scrappers hate scrapping s2000's because the A pillar is so strong its a night mare to cut.

Looking at the photos it does look that way, most of the damage is to the front, bonnet and windscreen.

Looking at the photos it does look that way, most of the damage is to the front, bonnet and windscreen.

look at this thread :

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/838317-201...hl__carper+list

The S is a seriously strong soft top as it was designed to be a soft top.. none of this BMW mallarky... get a hard top and chop the roof off it!

I'm not questioning the quality of the car (although the Z4 is also a purpose built soft-top), just that however a car is designed in a crash there is nothing to say that for a split second you couldn't end up with the back of the car on the ground and not the front.

And if the back does end up on the ground, those roll hoops are wholly inadequate for anyone tall. All it takes is a minor thump on the head and you're dead.

I'm not questioning the quality of the car (although the Z4 is also a purpose built soft-top), just that however a car is designed in a crash there is nothing to say that for a split second you couldn't end up with the back of the car on the ground and not the front.

And if the back does end up on the ground, those roll hoops are wholly inadequate for anyone tall. All it takes is a minor thump on the head and you're dead.

the engine is at the front to stop that happening :lol: