That's what I call a Garage Sale...

Tony

Wonder who the collection belongs to? Priced in American $ but the majority of vehicles are right hand drive :huh: The contact phone number (+64) is in New Zealand, so that would explain the RH drive, but it's actually the Chatham Islands off Christchurch, NZ with a total population of 650 people on the only two inhabited islands (Chatham & Pitt) and they haven't even got a mobile telecom network.

Wonder who the collection belongs to? Priced in American $ but the majority of vehicles are right hand drive :huh: The contact phone number (+64) is in New Zealand, so that would explain the RH drive, but it's actually the Chatham Islands off Christchurch, NZ with a total population of 650 people on the only two inhabited islands (Chatham & Pitt) and they haven't even got a mobile telecom network.

It says the cars are in SE Asia.

It says the cars are in SE Asia.

But why the phone number? Could probably identify the Gary on Chatham, as it's such a small place, but seems an unlikely place for the deal to be set up.

When I lived in Singapore there was a very rich business man who had a house near Ridley Road that had an obscene number of Ferrari's, so it could be his collection. Would also explain why a lot of them are not registered as you need a certificate from the Government to put one on the road, and they're strictly controlled in the number they issue.

Here you go http://www.celsydney.com/wordpress/2011/08...car-collection/

There's quite a few very very rich petrolheads in Singapore though, so may not be Tommie Goh's, http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/shop/most-e...ingapore-350259

with an f50, F60 and a zonda sat there too thats a lot of moneys worth just the other side of a gate!

True, there's something weird about cars like that just sat on a drive!

What makes it even more remarkable is the price of the COE (Certificate of Entitlement) that you have to buy before you can register the car for the road. Tommie Goh would have paid 3 million Singapore Dollars to buy and register his Zonda and it'll cost around 5 million Singapore dollars for his Lamborghini Reventon Roadster if he wants to drive it. As it would have 'only' cost him 2.1 million to buy it you can understand why so many of those cars in the sale are not registered, but still a lot of money as ornaments. When you consider the fastest stretch of road out near Changi has a speed limit of 80 KPH it's probably not a bad thing that they are.

All I could afford when I was there was a Proton, and the COE for that was a lot more expensive than the car.

http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/none/mrbrow...-car-coe-652576

Jeez, won't be complaining about our road tax hikes then!

How does that work exactly then? How would it end up costing millions just to register the car? Can't believe you pay all that and it still only lasts 10 years!

It's a system to control and tax the number of cars registered for the road in Singapore to prevent congestion. It's only a small island, most of which is built on, so it's not as if the road system can be enlarged. That's not all, as there's also a system of tax in the form of a toll if you drive on certain roads at peak times. The system is called 'ERP' (Electronic Road Pricing), an electronic toll collection scheme as a usage-based taxation mechanism to complement the purchase-based Certificate of Entitlement system. Singapore was the first city in the world to implement an electronic road toll collection system for purposes of congestion pricing similar to the toll 'freeways' in the States, but in Singapore you have a charge card that is inserted into a device on the windscreen that automatically deducts a charge fee when you drive under an overhead gantry.

The charge card can be topped up in local shops etc, and can also be used for the buses and the MRT system (Mass Rapid Transport, i.e. the underground).

It's not good when you forget to top up the card and drive under a gantry, as the fines are quite onerous. As they say, Singapore is a 'fine' place. :unsure:

Is it the big house with the fence and palm trees? :unsure: Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place :D

I suppose we shouldn't moan about our VED then compared to what they have in Singapore! :lol:

It's on the left if you position yourself in Ridly Park facing the junction with Tanglin Road.

I understand it's going to get worse over there as the gantry system causes people to avoid the toll roads and as a result glog up the smaller roads, so the Land Transport Authority has been testing a system based on the Global Positioning System that may eventually replace the current Electronic Road Pricing system. The proposed system overcomes the inflexibility of having physical gantries, which "are not so flexible when it comes to re-locating them".

A lightweight version of this same technology is implemented for use on parking, known as the Electronic Parking System (EPS). It has since been adopted in favour by several carpark operators, superseding the use of autopay tickets or parking coupons. These systems have also typically switched to charging by the minute.

Just the sort of thing the UK government would think is a good idea so they would then know where your car was at any time and what speed you were doing. Opportunities to further rape the motorist would be unlimited as they could implement congestion and parking charges whereever and whenever, fine and give you points for exceeding speed limits, and could even replace the road tax with a pay by the mile travelled option.

I've always thought of Singapore as being quite a nice place (and probably still is) but that sounds really horrible!

It sounds like it might be cheaper to just use a rental car than have your own.

They're pretty expensive too and hard to find, but leasing can work. Singapore is a great place to live and visit, providing you don't believe everything you read in the free issue Government publicity rag, the Straits Times, . I went back there late last year and earlier this year, and it hasn't changed a lot in the 8 years since I left.