Formula 1 engineers test fighter jet canopy

Tony

I hope it doesn't happen as the whole ethos of the pinnacle of M/Sport is an open cockpit formula.

Me to, surely than can just extend the small wind deflector to offer a bit more protection.

Massa's accident as terrible as it was, it was totally unavoidable he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time no one could have swerved out the way at 180mph and he wouldn't of known it was a wheel nut it must of looked like a dot in the distance.

Would the canopy saved his life?

He's still alive!!!!

Well he was racing in the F1 at Silverstone 2 weeks ago,...i saw him :rolleyes:

Seriously though if they did the test firing a suspension spring at the canopy it would of been more realistic as the size of the wheel they used has a larger footprint so would easily be deflected with minimal damage.

If i threw a beachball at you you could easily dodge it but on the other hand if i threw a golf ball you wouldn't stand a chance. (not that i would as your a nice guy) :D

Drag racing tried closed canopies back in the mid 1980's

http://garlits.com/swamprat30.html

Drag boat racing (The most dangerous form of motorsport at one time) developed and have started to use canopies/cockpits from F16's , the safety record has improved greatly since their introduction

Would the canopy saved his life?

He's still alive!!!!

Well he was racing in the F1 at Silverstone 2 weeks ago,...i saw him :rolleyes:

Seriously though if they did the test firing a suspension spring at the canopy it would of been more realistic as the size of the wheel they used has a larger footprint so would easily be deflected with minimal damage.

If i threw a beachball at you you could easily dodge it but on the other hand if i threw a golf ball you wouldn't stand a chance. (not that i would as your a nice guy) :D

I thought he was the driver hit square in the face by a wheel and killed instantly.

No it was surtees' son in a lower formula that was hit by a wheel and died instantly.

I personally don't think it's a bad idea, there's no particular reason it should be open cockpit except history. Remember planes used to be open cockpit too!

It's not going to make any difference to the sport from our perspective, only perhaps to driver visibility but that's one for them to decide on. I don't like changes that affect the sport, but this won't, just increase safety which is no bad thing.

I don't like changes that affect the sport, but this won't, just increase safety which is no bad thing.

It would help a lot aerodynamically :rolleyes: Could also allow the drivers to go back to open face helmets without visors. G-suits next?

might have some impact on fire protection having open face helmets?

The advantage would be improved visibility in not having the visor and rip-offs to look through. The canopy would give far superior fire protection than a helmet providing the drivers cell is designed for it.