Macro shots

Rich

Got a new toy that fits on the end of my lenses so I can take macro style shots. I've really missed this feature that was on the bridge camera I had and just had a quick play tonight in the house. Hoping to see some bugs/insects over the weekend :lol:

text.jpg

sweet.jpg

lucky_nose.jpg

dots_eye.jpg

cookie.jpg

biting_nails.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Cool, not a cheap lens that...did you do any PP work?

One of my cheaper lenses! ;)

Only PP was bit of tweaking of levels.

I need to get the proper canon tripod collar as the cheapy hong kong copy is pretty shoddy.

Thinking about a set of rails for my gioto tripod as well to make it easier to get closer.

• 1 month later...

I love that, colours are brilliant :D What lens do you use?

I've taken some more with the Raynox, I'll put them up when I'm back from holiday but if I'm honest I don't think I'll be keeping it. The DOF is so shallow it's very difficult getting the subject in focus.

I love that, colours are brilliant :o What lens do you use?

I've taken some more with the Raynox, I'll put them up when I'm back from holiday but if I'm honest I don't think I'll be keeping it. The DOF is so shallow it's very difficult getting the subject in focus.

If you want to do macro photography then shallow depth of field is a fact of life. There is no getting around it, no matter what lens you use.

The photo above was taken on a 180mm Sigma macro lens at f/8 and 1/160 sec. on a full frame camera. The depth of field was about 2mm (assuming a circle of confusion of 0.3mm)

What makes the picture for me is the complementary colours of the fly and the flower. But if it was not for the separation given by the shallow depth of field, then fly and flower would simply blur together.

The camera was on a heavy tripod with a ball head and I set up the camera so that the face of the flower was parallel to the plane of focus, then I just waited for the fly to get into the right place and focused on its eyes. I used mirror lock-up and a cable release to reduce vibration and I still threw away several failed attempts.

A pro would have put a white tent over the flower to get rid of any wind effects and even up the light, but it was so calm and still yesterday that it wasn't necessary.

You also need to choose a warm day when the flies are a bit sleepy . . . . :D

• 8 months later...

Nice shot Sean :bananapopcorn:

I sold the adapter that I bought when I started this thread. I was finding it annoying trying to focus with it as the DOF is so shallow and you need to be so close to the subject you're almost touching it! Not good when trying to photograph insects.

some great shots in this thread, i find macro really interesting, so much so that when i found a gadget i got for my phone allows me to do macro shots/video now as well as what i bought it for, i got quite excited ;)

I'll start a new thread and review it shortly