Drop Links

Recently when I am driving at low speed, I have noticed a chattering sound coming from the front end of my MX5.

I had the WIM drop links fitted last September and on inspection today the near side drop link seems to have a lot more play in than the offside.

I have posted two links showing the difference in them, and I was wondering if they can be adjusted in anyway?

Please wait a few moments for Video to Load!

Please wait a few moments for Video to Load!

That's crap!!...... The links shouldn't be doing that. Our links have a lifetime guarantee so i have not problem replacing them.... but? i need to know what's gone wrong so that you don't have the same failure.... I'll send the video to the manufacture to see if this is a design fault.

Don't worry either way, this is my problem and i will sort it.

Hi Tony as I said it’s noticeable at low speed i.e. in traffic or through town my car has covered approximately 6,550 miles since they were fitted and the car is my daily commute to and from work.

To give a bit of an insight to the usage, there is a short section of town to get out of then its motorway to my work and the roads around here (Coventry) are pretty good compared to other places.

So if it or they need replacing can I get down to Wim next Saturday?

:D

I've seen this many times with rose joints i'm afraid , the passenger side wears more quickly as its more exposed to dirt and grit off the road this works as a grinding paste in the joint

Only solution I know is to cover the joint with thick grease this stops the c*ap getting in and then clean the dirty grease off and re-grease as required

I know a member on TF who bought imported rose jointed drop links and got some covers to put over them to stop them being exposed. Maybe it would be an idea to source some to supply with the links?

• 1 month later...

:D Ok time for a bit of an update on the replaced near side front droplink that I had done about 5 weeks ago.

Well to be honest I am still getting allot of chatter / clunking at low speed and reading on the manufactures web site they supposed to be no noise at all.

So I have posted a short clip to highlight the noise that they make when the car is at a stop and raised up.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose its a sort of a result as far as the drop link V anti-roll bar goes in as much we now know the reason behind the problemÂ

know.

So i suppose it is a case of taking the plunge and getting them fr

om the states or just buy a set or two of OEM ones and keep as ba

ckup.

Still it was a nice drive down and back good to see the main man 

looking a bit better.

;)