Ken Block

phipck

He's not as good as I thought he would be, but then those gymkhana videos are short courses he can practise over and over.

As someone who is a rally driver, compared against Kimi Raikkonen with barely any rally experience, I thought he would have done better. Especially this year, where he seems to be doing worse.

Fair play to him, for someone who doesn't really have the skills he's done well for himself :D

Have to agree....... If they don't crash every now and then, then their not trying hard enough.

Marcus Gronholm took me round a special Acropolis rally stage through woods in Greece in 2007. I wasn't allowed to take my videocam in the car, but this footage in his car from the same year in Finland gives you an idea of the sense of speed. I don't think it takes much of a mistake to crash, and coming off at anywhere near top speeds didn't bear thinking about).

Please wait a few moments for Video to Load!

Found some actual footage taken in the car at the Acropolis Rally that year which makes it obvious why they wouldn't let me take my hand held :D

Please wait a few moments for Video to Load!

He's not as good as I thought he would be, but then those gymkhana videos are short courses he can practise over and over.

As someone who is a rally driver, compared against Kimi Raikkonen with barely any rally experience, I thought he would have done better. Especially this year, where he seems to be doing worse.

Fair play to him, for someone who doesn't really have the skills he's done well for himself :D

Robert Kubica didnt do so well rallying and no one would suggest he isnt a great driver

Robert Kubica didnt do so well rallying and no one would suggest he isnt a great driver

Robert Kubica isn't a rally driver, and I think he was actually setting decent stage times until his unfortunate accident.

Ken Block is an actual rally driver, has been for several years, and hasn't shown any real pace, nor has he kept the car on the road. Just my opinion, seems like a decent guy, just don't rate his driving skills now as much as I did before he entered the WRC.

Ken Block doing Gymkhana is the result of many hours of practice on the same course and conditions. His impressive performance from the gymkanas is no real indication of his ability to drive a rally stage.

He's not currently in the same league as the likes of Hirvonen, and Loeb, 14th place in Sweden (16 minutes behind Hirvonen), placed 12th in Mexico despite crashing out (over a minute behind Loeb). He withdrew from the Portugese because of the crash during testing prior to the rally.

It's not that he's not had the experience as his first WRC Rally was New Zealand 2007 (P-WRC), and his target to be competitive is by this year & 2012. Seems to have more write-offs than finishes if his 2010 performance is anything to go by. I just wonder if it wasn't for his gymkhana virals whether he would have been sponsored for the WRC.

I cant believe K.B's driving ability is up for disscussion :lol: just because he crashes he's deemed not to be very good, most rally drivers rely on info given by the co driver and he cant spot every hazard on a course and if the co driver is giving instruction either early or late he's bound to make mistakes. I'm sure he will come good at some time.....hopefuly soon :rolleyes:

Could a WRC driver do what K.B does in the Gymkhana...personally i dont think so.

To compare him with others is unfair, if he could ride GP bikes would you expect him to put the same lap times as C.Stoner or Rossi (go.d) ?

I cant believe K.B's driving ability is up for disscussion :lol: just because he crashes he's deemed not to be very good, most rally drivers rely on info given by the co driver and he cant spot every hazard on a course and if the co driver is giving instruction either early or late he's bound to make mistakes. I'm sure he will come good at some time.....hopefuly soon :rolleyes:

It's not about the crashes, he doesn't show particular pace - yep without the Monster backing there's no way he'd have a WRC drive.

Could a WRC driver do what K.B does in the Gymkhana...personally i dont think so.

Easily, Loeb and co have far superior car control :D