Can it be bent back?

Tony

thats one hell of a bent rod!

Im wondering how the f*ck that happened.

The pin holding the rod to what would be the top bearing to the piston seems to have been severly bent and burnt. but looking at the thickness of metal..... thats some heat and forces involved!

can you spread anymore light on the situation Tony... or did you just find the pic and say WTF!

Probably from a ship or something big like that.

Don't take my word on it but I believe it's a pic that's been around quite a while and shows a failed rod from a Wärtsilä-Sulzer RTA96-C, low speed (100RPM), heavy fuel oil, 2 stroke diesel, used for large cargo ships. The connecting rod in the pic doesn't attach to the piston itself. The connecting rod connects to the crankshaft, and the crosshead. The piston rod is connected to the piston and the cross head, so it really is the big end connecting bolt that's shown as failed.

No angular force is induced into the piston using this method, so the connecting rod must have resulted from from a seizure of piston/piston rod inside the liner.

post-62-1300987424.jpg post-62-1300987446.gif

Looking at the evidence i would have to agree....... I assume the energy that bent the rod was kinetic :huh:

Probably more frenetic when it occurred :lol:

Wouldn't it be nice for BlackBoots to supply the tyres for that trailer?

Big end bearing is still in orbit apparently :huh:

They make them with up to fourteen cylinders, so one seizing isn't going to stop the torque destroying one conrod even at 100 rpm. 95,000 hp :lol:

Uses even more fuel than your truck.