Inner tyre wear on one side

SMARTLY

So what needs checking?

From my earlier post:

1). O/S front tyre although 5 mm on all three readings, reported inner starting to wear

Checked tyre when I got home and what they have said is correct. It's an Avon ZV5 and it's one of those treads that's not the same all across the tyre. The three treads are fine but on the inside of that is a "different" cross tread pattern and that has worn in comparison to the other on the front.

So I guess this is going to need a geometry check and correction at some stage?

OK, here's a picture of a used ZV5 ( not mine ):

E-Bay%2004.11.10%20030.JPG

Starting from the right of the picture, mine is fine on the far right and through the three main grooves. Then the cross-thread on the left is where mine is worn significantly but only on the off-side front.

As suggested above I'll get a tracking check done and see if it's the toe that's out on that side.

What was bothering me was that only the one tyre on the front had worn like that, so does that indicate toe incorrect on the one side?

No because toe is a shared angle.

Both toe angles will be incorrect but the wear will only show on one tyre as that side is out of tolerance?

:huh:

OK, then but it's not just one bar Tony it's the inner edge ( in photo above it's the left side about a third i.e. everything to the left of the left most groove ). Have I explained myself well?

I know it's geometry, but it's geometry as opposed to tracking I need?

It might help if you took a photo of the actual tyre so we can see the wear. It is always a geometry you will need, tracking is no good as it only deals with the front. They won't be aligning the wheels to anything cos you need to measure the rears first, then set those if they need doing and then the front. Maybe take it to one of the trusted garages that are part of the WIM network?

What concerns me is the toe angle is shared so what one tyre has so does the other. The camber angle is fixed and on the 250 known to be correct this time, not like the 200. The castor angle is also fixed and again proved to work correct on the 250.

The only time i see issues on the 250 is when they are lowered.

I'm not getting this shared toe thing...on mine there is a steering rod each side with a rod end on each, which can be independently adjusted. I thought it was possible for one side to be out while the other is still ok, which would cause the wear? :huh:

Lets say you just hit a kerb and knocked the toe in 10mm, as soon as you drive forward the wheels will self center because they are linked by the steering rack, so now each wheel has 5mm of toe and as a consequence the dead ahead steering wheel position is now off line. It's the same thing as fast-fit correcting the tow without knowing the thrust.

Lets say you just hit a kerb and knocked the toe in 10mm, as soon as you drive forward the wheels will self center because they are linked by the steering rack, so now each wheel has 5mm of toe and as a consequence the dead ahead steering wheel position is now off line. It's the same thing as fast-fit correcting the tow without knowing the thrust.

Gotcha! :huh: