Aircon pump - is this right?

When checking the alternator belt yesterday and the battery with the aircon on I was watching what it does. The pulley attached to the pump wasn't spinning continuously but was stop/starting instead...is this normal? The belt was still going around though.

Please wait a few moments for Video to Load!

if the belt is just slipping round the pulley then it is not right

the heat generated will soon wear and break the belt

looks like the air con pump is jamming :o

That makes sense, I think the belt is tight enough but if you look at the photos in my blog there is hardly any access to the tensioner lock nut. I use the aircon every day so I hope it's not the pump.

If the air con works fine i.e it gets cold in the cabin, then you have to assume that the air con pump must stop / start like that.

Reason being there's no nasty noises and it gets cold as expected. Also there is no way a jammed pump can suddenly free up like that, only to jam again, then free up, then jam etc and still work satisfactorily!

Does the the air con tensioning pulley move to pull the belt tight?

If the air con works fine i.e it gets cold in the cabin, then you have to assume that the air con pump must stop / start like that.

Reason being there's no nasty noises and it gets cold as expected. Also there is no way a jammed pump can suddenly free up like that, only to jam again, then free up, then jam etc and still work satisfactorily!

Does the the air con tensioning pulley move to pull the belt tight?

but no way would a belt be designed to slip like that !

It works fine with no problems at all, wasn't that long ago it was regassed. I was just watching the alternator belt to make sure I hadn't over tightened it when I noticed it.

The tension is done up with the bolt and then locked in place with the nut to the side but it's this that access is restricted to...poor design but then they don't make engines when fitted to the car!

I'll have another look next week and see if there is a pattern to it stop/starting or whether the timing is random.

Its normal for the clutch to kick the load on and off for the aircon but usually the centre moves independantly , it looks like the clutch has jammed so when the air con is put under load the pump just stops the lot moving . Should be an easy job to release the belt and have a good feel around to see if it moves I suspect it will be solid in which case it will need a new pump and then regas again i'm afraid

I asked over on the Ford forums and I got a similar answer to this and that it was normal behaviour. I'm not sure if the centre moves independantly but it's working fine and has done for over 3 years so I'm assuming there is no problem :huh:

Its normal for the clutch to kick the load on and off for the aircon but usually the centre moves independantly , it looks like the clutch has jammed so when the air con is put under load the pump just stops the lot moving . Should be an easy job to release the belt and have a good feel around to see if it moves I suspect it will be solid in which case it will need a new pump and then regas again i'm afraid