Getting prepped for Winter

S2IM

So... last couple of years have been completely pony with regards to weather and after last year of driving the missus car with 230IlB torque and summer tyres (Diesel Tunes 1.7CDTi Astra H), I am gonna make sure we are covered. (my car was abandoned at home... rear wheel drive and on a slight incline, it didn't move and only p**sed the neighbors off with me wheel spinning)

Soooo.... winter tyres. Not the full blown studded chain ones, but ones that good for wet weather, work below 5 degrees and work in snow.

Suggestions?

:)

p.s... Thinking about it, its never never been Geo'd so we'll sort that at the same time :lol:

Tony, I was thinking of getting winter tyres put on the rear and then swap for the front, would this be ok? I was thinking of getting smaller wheels but it will cost me more as they'd most likely need new tyres aswell.

Tony, I was thinking of getting winter tyres put on the rear and then swap for the front, would this be ok? I was thinking of getting smaller wheels but it will cost me more as they'd most likely need new tyres aswell.

Any thoughts then Tony? :lol:

Tony put on a set of Continental Winter Contact TS830 for me at the start of last winter and I must say they were brilliant. They are on 15" wheels rather than the 17"s that I use in the summer.

I shall put them back on, probably early next month when the temperature falls.

I read today that they're predicting a harsh winter again like last year so I need to either get a second set of wheels or just sell mine and get some smaller ones. If I go with the later I will probably have to get all season tyres rather than winter ones.

Any thoughts then Tony? :unsure:

Tony are you actually following this thread? :huh:

Will it be ok to put something like the Vredestein on the fronts and then have the crappy budgets on the rear? If not I'll look for some cheap rims and sell mine.

I have been following this thread closely to see what people say about winter tyres.

My missus is expecting our first child on the 8th january... and i for one dont want to be stuck at home if the roads are crap (like last year).

I have a set of 16's that i really dont care about and will be usign these as winter wheels.

I guess my main niggle in my head is.. the cost!

the vred / conti's are quite expensive when im trying to look after the pennies at the moment (about to buy a house too!).

are there any tyres you could reccomend that will be 'cheap' ish on 205 /xx/ 16's ? Im trying to keep the cost under £250 though, which does rule out a lot of the 'better' witer tyres.

I have been following this thread closely to see what people say about winter tyres.

My missus is expecting our first child on the 8th january... and i for one dont want to be stuck at home if the roads are crap (like last year).

I have a set of 16's that i really dont care about and will be usign these as winter wheels.

I guess my main niggle in my head is.. the cost!

the vred / conti's are quite expensive when im trying to look after the pennies at the moment (about to buy a house too!).

are there any tyres you could reccomend that will be 'cheap' ish on 205 /xx/ 16's ? Im trying to keep the cost under £250 though, which does rule out a lot of the 'better' witer tyres.

TBH my situation is similar, which is why I'm reluctant to get 17" winter tyres but if I can't get into work I lose pay or holidays! As I'm not sure whether I'm keeping the car long term (the missus might have it) I also wanna do this as cheap as possible. I could get some steel rims cheaply but they don't really go with the modified look so will probably look for some 15" rims with knackered tyres and sell the 17's to pay for them.

Steelies are 'in' at the moment!

get some 15"s as they are UBER cheap compared to the 16"+ :o

unfortunately i cant go smaller than 16" as the wheels wont clear my calipers.

There's a guy who lives near me who's on another forum that replaced his alloys with steelies, painted them and they do look pretty cool on his smart! Luckily I didn't do the brake upgrade on mine otherwise I would need 16's as well but even then not all of them would fit.

We would be after 205/55/16 I believe Tony. If you are able to send me a price with a bottom, mid and high range tyre that would be awesome (PM is fine)

Tyres I have heard good reviews on are:

Bridgestone Blizzack

Uniroyal Rainsports

and the Vreds

Not sure where they fit in the low to mid range though.

:huh:

Tony, as S2IM has stated above, could you provide prices.

thats the tyre size I will be looking at too as it works out cheaper buying a 205 width tyre instead of a 195! (more common size i guess?)

Interesting, I wonder if the 205/55/15 are cheaper than the 195/60/15 :huh: