Broken locking Wheel Nut....

NickT

Hi all I wonder if anyone could help.

I was about to take my wheel off to check my brakes wheels and tyres as part of pre-winter check-over and when I came to undo the locking wheel bolt it broke. The part that broke is the adapter part that slots in the wheel bolt itself.

Looking at the adapter head on the locking part is like a circle but squashed on 4 sides. My phone camera has packed up and my mrs has "tidied" away my digicam (ie shoved in a cupboard to the house appears organised..!)

Luckily the car is drivable (if I don't have bad luck and have a puncture) and I don't have any more site visits this week but I am working at the weekend :D

The car is an 05 astra mk4 and has 15" alloys 4 stud 7 spoke (sportif I think)

I have the oem vauxhall locking wheel box and it has a 7 (or was it 8) digit code on the front but knowing my luck the adaptor won't match as I got the car secondhand and I am not presuming it is all correct and matching although I am hoping I can fast order a replacement adapter to fit.

If I am unlucky (as always it feels at times) is there a way to remove these type of bolts with an anti-reversal socket like a stud extractor or the type? I am reluctant to take the car to the local kwik-crap and let the ugg-type fitter smack it with a hammer and chisel ruining my alloys. Unfortunately there isn't a professional WIM equivalent I know up here around Leeds/Wakefield/Castleford area unless anyone could recommend one.

Thanks in advance for any help and wish me luck :lol:

Nick.

Well, I have just seen a "Laser Locking Wheel Nut Remover" on Halfords web site which I hope will work on removing the bolts if I can't get the adaptor. I have an impact air gun to use it to remove and a vice to remove the bolts from the locking nut so hope this is plan B.

Just to note I always use a wheel brace to remove a locking wheel nut and the same wheel brace and torque wrench to tighten it.

I bet it has been weakened in the past by "fast-krap."

:D

Lucily the wheel bolts are all intact, it is the swirly thing in the adaptor that has just sheared off but I bet it's been weakened by previous fast crap tyre fitments or the adaptor is just weak. I don't want to take it to fast krap.

I will check the clearance in the alloy and hope that the socket drifted on the wheel bolt would be plan C.

Typical timing :D Oh well just another life challenge :lol:

Forgot to say the dealer can match the car and the lock from their records.

Honda couldnt !

when i got the Honda i realised i didnt have the locking key

they had to carefully remove all 4 and replace them because they didnt have a record of which ones were fitted

Nice one ! I am doing some work at Harlow Hill Water Works YW Site so pass it a bit.

About the wheel nut, not got a replacement from Vauxhall (I should have known.......)

Vauxhall quoted £125+ vat to remove them. I think they led me on to get me through thier door...

So plan B is to get a locking wheel nut remover.

Have you tried finding a similar key, some companies only have a couple of designs even though they make it sound like they have loads.

One of my relatives works for Yorkshire Water as well :o.

I promise to get the pics tomorrow. I had to do the shopping as the Mrs is working lates so I didn't get back until half 8.

I had a quick look at the wheel bolt and it does have the collar that spins around so you can't use a normal left handed wheel nut removal.

The sportiv alloy wheel has recessed holes where the bolt goes in.

I have spent an hour tonight in the vein hope that I somehow have this 3 digit security code.......

Could be worse :)

Just a quickie to say I got this sorted and all 4 locking wheel nuts were removed in 10 minutes !!!!

It cost me £10 per wheel to have removed but I had no damage to my alloys, not even a scratch !

Lucky me works 2 miles away from:

www.lockingwheelnutremover.com

The bloke Ronnie was very nice to speak to, designed and owned the patents and even manufactures all of his tools on site.

He even gave me a tour of his fully automated cnc machines while I was there as I showed an interest.

It is so nice to see manufacturing done in the UK and it all looks top kit.

I have a couple of pics of it being done and a pic of the bolts removed too. Even the locking wheel bolts had no damage to them and could easily be refitted. I am surprised all tyre type garages don't have this tool. Makes a mockery of the £125 minimum quoted by vauxhall.....I could buy this tool for £125 + vat

NickT.

ps I had a set of spare locking wheel nuts I was about to ebay from our old corsa but they fitted fine so at least I didn't drive with only 3 bolts on too.

:o