Honda Integra Type-R DC2

jon.l

Hi folks, been a while since I came on but now I have the car I want I can post freely :lol:

32546_433772325559_514110559_6085163_5142829_n.jpg

Picked her up about 4 weeks ago, all I can say is WOW. The way this car moves, stops and turns is simply amazing, everything they say about Integra's is true. Coming from a CRX it's a very familiar feeling to drive this but everything is in the right place, Honda really did build a true drivers car here.

The car isn't without problems though, I suspect the alignment is out as the steering wheel wasn't straight, the rear brakes are worn out and the wet weather driving experience is just dangerous, possibly due to worn bushes but also I suspect due to the Yokohama Parada tyres on it.

First things first I want to start from the ground up and work with the suspension and bushings, as well as tyres. I'm hoping to get everything replaced at the same point so as not to cancel out a new adjustment with old parts. As the chassis of the car is suitably stiff already I don't feel much is needed in that respect, which leaves me to focus on suspension/bushes and tyres. I'd like to retain some complaiance in the car so will be looking for stock bushes, and as it is primarily for road use (with maybe some track time to come), I'd like to concentrate on a balance of good handling in wet and dry conditions with little compromise on ride quality.

As is is (with Spoon sports lowered springs and stock shocks), the ride is very good, so I want to keep this in mind. Not only that but a 'true' sports vehicle must be drivable in all conditions, and I'm not going to go for excessive lowering or rediculous ride quality.

I'd also like to discuss tyre options at some point as I understand the ITR likes a stiff sidewall, possibly why the Parada's are terrible as the sidewalls are about as stiff as a jelly :o

As far as money is concerned, I wouldn't say I'm going to throw everything I have at it but I know one must pay certain prices for quality components, especially when they are what's keeping you out of the weeds :D

Feedback much appreciated, this will unfortunatly be a slow project but I shall try to document everything I can as I go along. I'd love to hear recommendations. I am very much looking forward to making this great car even better!

Jon

Nice drive for 3k, you lucky man :o

As far as rubber is concerned the T1R is pretty much fire and forget, their just very good all rounders... On the handling side of things you really need to check the rear trailing arm bushings? The example below is a rwd BMW but you get the idea

Please wait a few moments for Video to Load!

Thanks for the heads up on the RTA bushes. I am no stranger to Honda's so these are a known issue, and will be replaced with OE items in due course. I understand they were done about 15k miles ago but with the lowered suspension putting excessive force on the bush I wouldn't be surprised if they are due for a change.

Usually what I'd do is to rotate the bush in the housing so that it is level when the car is on the floor, as opposed to fitting it level only to find it about 20° out when the wheels touch the ground and the suspension settles.

Interesting video though, I'd bet there is a fair alignment change when the bush deforms that much!

As far as tyres go I haven't tried the T1-R but have heard mixed opinions from other ITR owners on these.

I understand the original tyre fitted - the Bridgestone RE010 was of very high quality, and the closest thing available at the moment is the Yokohama Advan AD08. I have heard very good things about these but they seem to be in limited supply :o As mentioned above I'd also like to maintain a high standard of wet weather performance, though I do understand overly stiff suspension has a major effect on this.

Most owners are not aware of the bushing because it deteriorates so slowly.

Absolutely understand you there, it's quite often overlooked. I overlooked it myself for years until I started finding the rear of the car developing a mind of it's own on roundabouts, not a nice feeling.

Great looking car mate...And only 3K ;)

I really like the look of the Integra DC5...lovely looking motors. :wub:

im not sure if your saying his car is a DC5 ??? if you are ... well its a DC2 :D

Yeah i know its a DC2 mate :) ..just saying i like the DC5 . :o .maybe thinking of getting one. :)