Mondeo NSF wishbone replacement

Tony

• 10 months later...

The above is true to a certain degree but i do not believe a good quality nylock nut will undue itself,absoloute rubbish,top down is indeed the best way but if tightened correctly and checked after a period of time it should be good forever.

• 2 years later...

The orientation of the bolts is irrelevant. As the wishbones are below the subframe if the nuts came undone/off the wishbone would still come adrift so which way you put the bolts doesn't matter. If you are nervous about the security of the nuts use new nylocks + a dob of locktite for "belt and braces", but don't waste your time disturbing the subframe.

What mark Mondeo do you have? The MK1, 2 and 3 (which is what this thread is based on) I know had the wishbone mounted inside the subframe not below it so if the bolt was in the correct way round and the nut came off it shouldn't fall out. I always replaced the bolts (upside down) whenever I changed the wishbones on my Mondeo and never had a problem.

Subframe bolts are upside down so I don't see what the difference is, there is always a chance they can come loose and in fact one did on my Mondeo - was a scary moment!

I thought i had replied yesterday but I can't find my post. Anyway, look at the pictures above, the wishbone is underneath the subframe so if the nut comes off the wishbone will come adrift. It doesn't matter which way up the bolts are so go ahead do it the easy way, they were probably only put in from the top in the factory for ease of assembly, cars are never made with easy servicing in mind. If you are at all nervous about your bolts put a dab of loctite on for extra peace of mind. Personally I wouldn't bother they ain't gonna come undone if youdo them up right in the first place.

Are we looking at the same photos? The ones in the first post are inside the subframe, not underneath. So if the bolt is inserted from the top there is less chance of the wishbone coming loose should the nut fall off. The bolt goes through the top of the subframe, into the wishbone bush and then out the bottom.

pic5.jpg

This is pic from Mk2 Mondeo not Mk3

$_35.JPG This is the lower arm on Mk3.

I think the reason why manufacturer choose the bolt get from up not from down is because they assemble sub-frame not on the car but on the table/production line. Then they do so called "marriage" chassis with the sub frame in order to make production more efficient. So they don't concern bolt loosening and drop out but lower costs and speed.