Ford mondeo allignment

mac

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

#1 and 4 are a concern, has the repairs been done and a new tyre.

Not yet. Due to my experience with the car and knowing the different stage it has been at, im fairly sure this wont cure it. I dont see the point of replacing hte tyre without curing the root of the problem as any subsequent tyres will just wear the same. Will take a 2nd opinion on the bushing.

The tyre could be the problem as could the wishbone.

ok thanks, hard to see it though as the car drove the same as it does now when tyres were new and suspension was good.

Would you go spurious or genuine for wishbone and trailing arm?

lemforder for wishbone any good?

As usual thanks for help

ER is the best one to ask, but i would go with OEM.

Thanks

I still have a concern thats in my mind about the chassis. Dont want to spend £££ on suspension only to find out its a problem with chassis.

I assume that the wishbone comes with bushes in-situ, is there any benefit to using polybushes?

Roads here arent supporting low profile 18' wheels very well at the moment due to the craters about. The offset range given for the mark 3 mondeo is 49-55mm. Im thinking about switching to 16' to get a bit more sidewall. All the aftermarket wheels im looking at are 45mm offset, would you forsee any problems in using these?

just as an extra, i mentioned i had a brake judder and during the drive, warp discs was the problem rolled out.

I see there is a difference of opinion on warped discs on the thread here, do you believe it to be a myth?

Car hasnt had pads or discs in 25k miles i have owned it and no mention on the service history. Its not something thats affecting the steering issues just something thats also on the list.

just as an extra, i mentioned i had a brake judder and during the drive, warp discs was the problem rolled out.

I see there is a difference of opinion on warped discs on the thread here, do you believe it to be a myth?

Car hasnt had pads or discs in 25k miles i have owned it and no mention on the service history. Its not something thats affecting the steering issues just something thats also on the list.

The discs don't warp without reason..... It's finding the reason that's important but often forgotten.

Allignment necessary after replacing wishbone and trailing rear arm tony?

Yep i'm afraid son.

Cheers tony. Yeah finding the reason for the warping would be an achievement.

Possbility its linked to steering difficulties?

Most common reason is binging due to pads staying on in a corroded carrier, or the face hub/ drive flange the disc sits against is damaged or corroded allowing a "subliminal" cause and effect.

i think you have offered more information to me than all the mechanics i have encountered over the past number of years.

Its an excellent forum and i have referred many people here (seems everyone is having steering/suspension problems due to road conditions)

Is it recommended to change wishbones in pairs or am i ok just doing the one?

Thanks for the praise..... Makes it all seem worth it.

The wishbone in question has failed prematurely either because of inferior manufacturing or poor fitting, in this event i would only replace the defective part.

If by example a coil spring broke i would suggest both were replaced in anticipation the partner coil has a similar age and likely to follow a same path as the broken coil.

Thanks for the praise..... Makes it all seem worth it.

The wishbone in question has failed prematurely either because of inferior manufacturing or poor fitting, in this event i would only replace the defective part.

If by example a coil spring broke i would suggest both were replaced in anticipation the partner coil has a similar age and likely to follow a same path as the broken coil.

the wishbone in question is and OEM part and there from day 1 i believe. its the rearmost bush that is apparently shot and not the wishbone itself but obviously better to replace the entire wishbone rather than try pressing in a new bush

That's the compliance bushing..... when worn it allows the wheel to steer randomly.

well that would explain a lot. ford part is a scary price wishbone €166. QH circa €80.

• 2 weeks later...
What can you do.........

Wishbone and rear arm changed, allignment done. Outcome, it is the exact same. My mechanic who didnt diagnose the problems put the parts in for me said there was a tiny bit of play in the rear arm but not enough to warrant changing it in his opinion. Said the wishbone was fine but both items were changed as i insisted. Afterwards he showed me the parts (i have them here at the house), the bushes in the wishbone are neither perished nor loose and rear arm also seems fine.

Seems like a case of guessing at problems rather than corrrectly diagnosing them by the garage who diagnosed them to me.

In the process of getting wheels from a friend to try them out by i know in my heart that it wont be the cure as car was displaying these symthoms when tyres were new. Will admit that tyres arent helping but something is causing them to wear the way they are and that is the problem.

Sick to the teeth now and a lot lighter moneywise.

Well diagnosed then!.... Change those tyres and then we can move on with a clean sheet.

yeah should have a chance to try different wheels on there soon enough. Also asked my mechanic to specifically check top strut mount bearings and he said they are solid with no movement.