Ford mondeo allignment

mac

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wheels off the ground, also see if the steering moves when you start the car.

no it doesnt but something that was happening before i changed the springs and shocks was that eveyr morning i came out to the car the steering wheel would have dropped off to the left (i always always leave it centred when i park) but i havent noticed it at all since i changed springs and shocks.

Also told that the tolerance for the subframe position is quite wide by one individual whereas another told me it was a hairs breadth (ppl who moved subframe previously when car went straight).

Let's hope it's not a wast of money.

dont think theres any point in going to move the subframe really based on the criteria you mentioned and i know it to be slightly easier to turn left when wheels in the air. Price of playing with moving the subframe would be about half the cost of a recondtioned rack.

Have someone test the rack and see what they think.

my mechanic checked for play and said its fine and did his son (good guy)

allignment guys did the same and the boss man told me that there is only a tiny bit of play but that if the valve is gone it cant be determined from a visual check.

As for the turning left when in the air, two guys think its about the same both sides, one thinks its easier to turn left and this is what i think also (i have tested this a few times myself) although as i said the difference is very very marginal and takes some noticing but is there.

was told there is no more testing that can be done on the rack

Then the cheaper option is to move the sub-frame.

not if its not causing the problem which every1 is adamant its not. all the allignment guys say that amount of caster wont cause the pull but will move the subframe is i want.

In theory the castor difference would need to be more than a degree.

yep i know. the subframe seems to line up well both as per the pins and hte geo itself. After last allignment, i was speaking the boss for a while and he said many 6 month old cars didnt line up as well as that and based on the quick glance he has at hte subframe position he wouldnt go chasing that (probably cos he hasnt got a beam jack on the geo) and would change out hte rack.

The other guy who has the beam jack said he would move the subframe but didnt think it would make a noticable difference.

I cant afford to waste money so am inclined not to look at moving the subframe based on several opinions.

What would be your move at this junction.

Had that many times over the years....... What about the rack on ER's car, he's braking the car.

Really? you had the rack causing a pull a lot?

Do you know if ER's is mark 3? im in ireland so the shipping of a 2nd hand rack would prob make it a lot more than one i could pick up here

It's a MK2 mate so probably different...sounds like a nightmare problem you have though :(

yeah its been a lengthy process. Car is actually much nicer to drive now since i changed springs and shocks. Car will go where steering wheel directs it and feels more stable but the second the steering wheel is released it wants to go to the left so constant pressure has to be applied to hte steering to counter this.

To be honest through process of elimination it can only be the rack and/or subframe position but im not in an position to put more money into it right now without being certain although there appears to be a very grey area surrounding rack issues.

TG over on talkford is having an issue with his steering rack not being centered and various other things so im not alone.