Ford mondeo allignment

mac

Just a bit of additional info on this. Usually travel on my own. Had someone else in the passenger seat at the weekend and the car pulled even harder to the left forcing me to turn the steering wheel even more to the right to compensate.

Asked them to sit behind me instead and then the pull was as it normally is.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the trim height is the same on both fronts then i would agree they are fine....... Still thinking on this one.

yep trim height is good. measured as per previous graphic. if the sterring rack (where its connected to the subframe) is sitting slightly off perfect horizontal, will this cause strange handling?

Running out of options...... Have the front/ rear wheels and tyres been moved yet.

yeah moved tyres to ever possible combination, didnt change a thing. Whatever it is is causing the inner 1.5 inches of the front tyres to wear quicker than the rest of the tyre but the allignemnt said that the toe was in slightly, not out and the camber was not excessively negative.

Are these stock wheels with the correct off-set.

yes they are the wheels it rolled out of the factory with tony, 52.5mm offset.

it aint the wheels im sure of that. definately something related to the subframe as when it was moved, that was the only time the car felt remotely decent.

If the sub-frame was off-line then the lower ball joints would be off-set to the suspension stroke and change the camber gain.... But the printouts you display deny this.

yeah thats the thing that has me very confused as to what to do next. you mentioned that the printout would suggest the subframe postion was fine.

worked through a process of elimination of wheels, tyres, all suspension componenets, all steering components (not necessarily in that order) so thats why i was thinking about checking the chassis but you convinced me that it couldnt be the chassis or the wheels wouldnt line up correctly.

Don't forget i've not seen or driven this car but the report offers a 3d image...

1: Camber= vertical, and that's fine

2: Castor = fore and aft, alongside set-back and wheel-base and that's fine

3: Toe = longitudinal and that's fine

From the evidence i'm reluctant to suggest moving the sub-frame, but as said in previous posts when this was done before the car drove better.

From that experience the only way forward is to move the sub-frame again..... However illogical it seems.

Don't forget i've not seen or driven this car but the report offers a 3d image...

1: Camber= vertical, and that's fine

2: Castor = fore and aft, alongside set-back and wheel-base and that's fine

3: Toe = longitudinal and that's fine

From the evidence i'm reluctant to suggest moving the sub-frame, but as said in previous posts when this was done before the car drove better.

From that experience the only way forward is to move the sub-frame again..... However illogical it seems.

yeah suppose thats all that can be done, seems mad but may be the only way.

Update

Had car checked this morning by crowd who moved subframe for me last august. Wasnt for allignment (as i know the problem isnt there), but for suspension and steering components.

Outcome

1. Front Left Wishbone rearmost bushing worn

2. Rear Left Trailing arm has some mo(vement (changed this about 16 months ago)

3. Tyre pressures low (have always had some problems with tyre pressures due to alloys corroding but the values hold up pretty well, i use an electronic gauge). Car drove the exact same when tyre pressures increased

4. Front right tyre inner edge worn badly for inside 1.5 inches. (asked for cause - probably incorrect tyre pressure)

General comments

Car pulls very quickly to left on acceleration

Constant correction of steering required over uneven surfaces

Drove over some bumpy ground and no noise from suspension - checking for drop links noise

What do you make of this tony?

I do remember a point when tyres were brand new and the suspension components mentioned above were deemed good and the same conditions were present. therefore reluctant to change all the items and still be in the same situation.

cheers for any help