• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If he replaces them one by one it won't need aligning

even if it may not be in exactly the right place at the moment

cheers for all your help.

its an excellent forum, i especially like the section on chassis dynamics

You can see "witness marks" where the subframe has sat or if have a selection of drifts/punches one will fit the hole.

new subframe bolts put in, tightened up most the way while all allignment gear on. Allingnment corrected (was only out slightly) and then bolts tightened to specified torque of 142nm. Guy who did it had a test drive, said it was ok and was pulling left over a long distance. I paid and went for a drive and when holding the steering wheel level it does go straight. the second i let go of the wheel it darts to an 11 o clock position to the left and the car instantly veers left. so i went back and told him that it was better the last time he did it when the result was a drift over a long distance rather than an instant pull. seriously sick of this now.

the last time he did it, it stayed staight for a week and then slipped back the end result now is obviously not as good as last time. THe last time the two bolts on the right of the subframe were loosened and subframe adjusted slightly and the bolts tightened. It was explained to me that the torque was not known at that time (they were just gunned up) and thus this may have caused a dispersal which actually made the car go straight.

Now in my head, there most be something relating to the subframe in this quest as it was soo close to being right previously. it was mentioned that the problem is more than likely mechanical and not allignment so i will take that opinion as its logical. Were do i stand on this as im back to square one again.

I think we need to see this car!... Reason being we can take loads many more measurements than most.

yeah i was already working out costs of getting over to you guys, its probably cost prohibitive although im starting to lose patience with it. Quick question, is it possible to perform an allignment on a car and bring it within specified values (toe, camber etc) if the chassis is slightly bent or skewed?

Cheers

No, not on your car, i need information looking outside of the box to resolve your complaint and we are the only one's equipped to gather this informational data.

hmmm interesting, so its impossible to allign my car even if the chassis was only bent by 3mm for example. thats interesting info to have. i do think its something mechanical but then the car was nearly right when the subframe was adjusted previously so that throws that theory up in the air. yes i know you guys are number one and your reputation even stretches over here to ireland.

Chassis disparities of 3mm is nothing so i think you need to move on in order to resolve this problem... What area of Ireland are you in?

3mm was just a random figure, chassis was off slightly after first hitting the pothole. my mechanic pulled it back for me but said there was still a residual disparity that he couldnt rectify and that it would need to go on a jig for perfection but that the disparity was too small to affect anything as some come out of that factory like that.

im in north leinster, 60 miles north of dublin, good access to northern ireland also.

Chassis disparities of 3mm is nothing so i think you need to move on in order to resolve this problem... What area of Ireland are you in?

3mm was just a random figure, chassis was off slightly after first hitting the pothole. my mechanic pulled it back for me but said there was still a residual disparity that he couldnt rectify and that it would need to go on a jig for perfection but that the disparity was too small to affect anything as some come out of that factory like that.

im in north leinster, 60 miles north of dublin, good access to northern ireland also.

just wondering tony if you know anyone over here that you would recommend?

We are finalizing a centre in Ballyclare

i would imagine that these guys would only be able to take similar measurements to that which i already have. corghi system has been used for me so far in a couple of different places, havent encountered the hunter yet. would probably be a waste as they would just do an allignment and say yeah its fine according to the values

We are currently approving three centres in Ireland.

can you state the general location for these?

out of interest do you have 2 post and 4 post systems and a jig for pulling a chassis?

Rather wait until things are more solid.... As for the jig, what you jigging and to where?

We are currently approving three centres in Ireland.

can you state the general location for these?

out of interest do you have 2 post and 4 post systems and a jig for pulling a chassis?

Rather wait until things are more solid.... As for the jig, what you jigging and to where?

haha just a jig to pull a chassis- do you have this?

Tony

Was going back through some of the old allignments and noticewd that the kpi values on the front have changed a fair bit.

in my post 46, the difference between the front left and right is 1 minute but on my last allignement the difference was about 25 minutes. Can anything be read into this?

Cheers

• 5 months later...

hi tony

sorry for digging up this old thread. Still having issues with the *&^%* mondeo. Never did get the sterring sorted but put up with it.

Over the cold spell in january, car slid on black ice and the back left was impacted. Thought i might have bent something so had mechanic check it out, nothing looked wrong so went for allignment and it lined up fine (full geo as per previous reports). when car was up on lift, both guys noticed wear on inner shoulder of front tyres (toe out or negative camber).

Car feels worse than ever at the moment and need to get it sorted. My mechanic informed me that when i first brought it to him way back at the start, he had to pull the chasis on the front leg as it was well out. I gave this info to allignment guy and overall agreement from a number of parties that the car could not be wheel alligned if the chassis was out.

After all that, i have 2 questions.

1. is it impossible to wheel allign a vehicle if the chassis is out of spec??? this is the most important issue.

2. what course of action would you advise in this situation? Start with chassis and work from there or an alternative method.......

As usual thanks for any reply and if i wasnt in ireland i would be with you in a shot. As an engineer myself (different discipline), it baffles me that nobody can fix this. I thrive on solving problems others cant.

Thanks a lot

You need to have the chassis measured before any solution can be offered by them or us.... Diagnostics is the key here.

ok will do. a basic measurement would suffice without taking off bumper etc?. Can get it on a car bench for a basic measurement.