Ford mondeo allignment

mac

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are the strut shafts nicely centred in the top mounts?

I assume so, would imagine he would have mentioned if it wasnt. he made up his own pins to allign subframe after dropping it to fit wishbone . Said everything was tight and fitted well and if there was any damage to subframe, there would be descrepencies and would be a struggle to fit everything together.

Hi tony

Just want your opinion on something, Caster readings front

Before adjustment +02 19' (LH) +02 50' (RH)

After adjustment +01 59' (LH) + 02 49' (RH)

DAta provided for LH and RH is +02 35' and tolerance is -01 01' and +01 02'

Everything is within spec but im just wondering about the difference side to side between the caster values of close on 1 degree.

Do you see any problems here?

That suggests the reason for the castor disparity is in the unsprung chassis, probably misaligned sub-frame.

Really? Is it significant? Have had similar values for caster in the past. Subframe is lining up using the allignment pinsperfectly, does this mean subframe is bent somewhere?

All chassis bend over time.... The pin is more a build thing so you can't rely on that. I would set the sub-frame using the geo machine.

I believe thats what was done as i asked him to check the subframe with pins after allignment and before he lowered the car back to ground. i was in there too and saw the pins fit.

So in conclusion, this isnt a major issue? the other reports i posted here in the past have had similar values

and on another report i posted here earlier the caster difference was -00 36' and it was deemed ok.

So if im to understand what you are saying, this value difference in caster does pose a problem which needs to be resolved.

The castor difference now is nearly a degree...... The positions need to be the other way-a-round so the car pushes into the road crown.

Its still within spec but point taken. is it difficult to adjust the caster without altering the other parameters? (was told there is not much adjustment in the camber on my car)

I think the first port of call needs to be trying other wheels on the car, would you agree?

The allignment guys sum up after the last geo was to try other wheels and that he felt the camber was a bit too much on the negative side (reason for inner wear on both front tyres in his estimation)

Final values for camber front -01 22' (LH) -01 20' (RH). Data states that it should be -00 39' on both sides with 01 17' either side of it.

He told me there is only a little scope for manual adjustment of camber. Took it in for me to close to -01 in a previous allignment last year and that was the most adjustment possible.

Camber is very deep, normally when both fronts are to deep it's worn coils, but you have changed these.

no they were not changed by checked by 2 different ppl and deemed ok. also ride height only has a 1mm difference side to side.

Are you starting to think now that the problem and solution may lie in the allignment and not mechancial?

Coil sag changes the sprung body height, this in turn changes the camber position ( deeper ) the difference in the body height over the axle is beside the point.

ok i see. so in summation you are saying that caster and camber are both suspect in terms of springs and subframe postion respectively.

camber has always been around -01 20' on my car and it also was when car drove right for that short week.

ok

just as an aside, the guys who fit eibach lowering springs to their mondeos which takes the car down 30/40mm. How do they adjust the extra negative camber this adds? As far as i can see the camber isnt adjustable without sticking in a particular bush in the wishbone.