• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

here you go (3 weeks ago)

http://img121.imageshack.us/f/geo110216.jpg/

im being told to start at square one and check the chassis allignment itself on a car bench. Is this a waste of time and money and as is the question 1 i asked above valid in your opinion

Cheers tony

in order words, if you could complete a wheel allignment on a vehicle, does that completely rule out any problems with the chassis?

im being told to start at square one and check the chassis allignment itself on a car bench. Is this a waste of time and money and as is the question 1 i asked above valid in your opinion

Cheers tony

in order words, if you could complete a wheel allignment on a vehicle, does that completely rule out any problems with the chassis?

Yes, and your printout is very good.

Cheers tony

Yes, and your printout is very good.

Appreciate the quick reply tony so this could be diagnosed as a steering/suspension/geometry issue and does not require the vehicle to go anywhere near a chasis bench as this is what im being advised.

The geometry and chassis is fine. It's time to look elsewhere....... Check the wheels off-sets, tyre make and models and so on.

appreciate the reply tony. was about to book it into a chassis allignment place for a check (based on consnesus of opinion). I think the gremlin is related to the front subframe as per earlier posts. I t was 90% correct at one point but didnt stay like this for long. managed to rule out tyres, wheels, track rods, shocks, springs etc at that stage and narrowed it down to something to do with the subframe. it would appear that it may be down to the interaction between the subframe and the steering rack, the rack may not be on straight or something so might look here.

At least its possible to rule out any problems with the chassis from the report. All i got were statements such as 'well its probably not the chassis', 'its unlikely to be the chassis'. Glad that someone (yourself) has the knowledge to say 100% that it isnt the chassis.

Thanks

For a car with next to no adjustment your current positions are excellent.

yeah thats true. You should drive it though, thats a different matter, its all over the place. Basically it wants to steer itself according the camber of the road and any bump or imperfection in the road will have it shoot in a certain direction (as you can imagine its particularly difficult to handle over rough ground). Constant corrections are required to keep it between the lines and as per your defination in another forum here, it is a sharp pull and not a drift.

There's no indication from the report that the sub frame is off-line, but if moving it last time helped then try that again.

got to try something. car is a nightmare to drive now. its much worse after the slid on the black ice in january though so not sure where i am at the minute

It's one of those i have to drive in order to diagnose.

yeah i know its impossible for you to diagnose without seeing it and driving it. its very rough to drive at the moment, difficult would be the best way to describe it.

Am i right in thinking that the mondeo is fairly standard in geometry terms as opposed to the beast you had to deal with which had the m3 engine in another forum here. if im right surely it shouldnt be that complex for some1 with 'expertise' to rule different things out one by one to land at the problem.

It's finding someone with experience though....... I think i would check the new bushings just in case they are faulty.

checked 3 weeks ago and from the feel of it, its definately something at the front of the car rather than the rear.

And yes its almost impossible finding some1 who isnt scared of it and/or knows what they are doing.

Any noise associated on bump when it pulls.

no there is a vibration and a general unstable feeling when braking. you would think wheel balance but it was checked. although this wasnt present to my memory when it was nearly right previously.

whatever is causing the pull and vague steering seems to have an effect on other things.

I'm going to have to think about this one.

no problem, i have been thinking about it long enough.

Started study vehicle alignment and geometry but concluded after a short time that although the basics were comprehendable, a situation like mine requires years of practical exposure to different vehicles to solve. So im of no benefit and probably overthinking it.