Help with mondeo geo and offset steering please

RXT_IAN

Hello

This weekend I changed both front lower arms on my mondeo, and on monday I took the car in for a geometry at the nearest hunter equipped garage.

After the work was carried out (and I paid £70) the steering wheel was still off centre, but now to the left. This annoyed me so i took it back today, they performed a laser alignment and made some adjustments. I was not happy with this having paid for a geo, so made them put it back on the hunter. They spent hours setting the car, claiming "we keep adjusting the toe in and it keeps moving out". The guy came in with a geo report, showed the boss saying "look perfect" they then took it for a test drive and were obviously unhappy as they then did another laser alignment :thumbsup_anim:

I was not happy with this and made a fuss but they would not do anything about it.

Driving home the steering still felt offset, this time to the right.

When I got home I found on the geo's they did today they were using settings for the lowered version of the car! ("performance model") Would this explain why they could not get it straight?

Geo reports can be seen here:

http://www.fordmondeo.org/forum/showtopic.php?tid/814280/

I'm taking it back again tomorrow, any advice on what to ask for, and as to how much truth there could be about "it keeps moving" (steering is fine when driving, only offset, and offset doesnt change without them adjusting)

Thanks in advance :smile_anim:

Sounds like they don't know how to use the hunter, why keep using laser alignment (supertracker?) when the hunter does a far superior job!

On the last report the OSF camber looks much better now compared to the first but as you say that's for a different model. What MK1's were lowered as standard then?

I believe the Si models were lower as standard

The tyres are not too worn, still within the tread limits over whole width, despite previous bad toe on the nsf. I too agree that they cant use the hunter, they said they kept using the laser for speed because the hunter took so long to take a reading, but I think its the only way they could get it close to straight.

Yeah im going to ask to be in the garage when they do it tomorrow. There is no way all those readings could change in 2 days is there?

Would using the lowered cars settings explain why they kept thinking my toe settings were changing?

Prior to then doing the Geometry was the steering straight?.... Also if they are naive about the Hunter machine it's possible their not following the "idiot's guide" that the machine offers.

Once the chassis is measured they need to brace the steering wheel, you need to validate the position then they can do any adjustments.

Prior to then doing the Geometry was the steering straight?....

No, it was pretty similar to how it is now, off to the right a bit. Am I right in thinking that by doing the lazer alignment after it being on the hunter they are making the hunter readout pointless?

No, it was pretty similar to how it is now, off to the right a bit. Am I right in thinking that by doing the lazer alignment after it being on the hunter they are making the hunter readout pointless?

No not really because only the longitudinal angles are being corrected...... What happend in the first place that made the steering position change? was work done to the car or new tyres?

No not really because only the linear angles are being corrected...... What happend in the first place that made the steering position change? was work done to the car or new tyres?

TBH I think it was me hitting a kerb, i didnt notice it before then, and knowing I had a boo-boo kept an eye on the tyres, noticed nsf was starting to wear on outer edge so did wishbones and took for geo...

One last question

If they are using the machine right, the readings should be the same (at least on the rear where they have not adjusted since) as when they did the first geo monday right? If the values are changing then the whole thing would be pointless?

One last question

If they are using the machine right, the readings should be the same (at least on the rear where they have not adjusted since) as when they did the first geo monday right? If the values are changing then the whole thing would be pointless?

The Hunter machine is so accurate it will detect changes due to air temperature so small changes are inevitable.... What i want you to do tomorrow is ensure the brace is fitted with the steering wheels at a position you agree with and i would like them to print two more pages that the machine can measure

* Symmetry and setback

* Wheel base and track

Both of these will help....... if needs be.

The Hunter machine is so accurate it will detect changes due to air temperature so small changes are inevitable.... What i want you to do tomorrow is ensure the brace is fitted with the steering wheels at a position you agree with and i would like them to print two more pages that the machine can measure

* Symmetry and setback

* Wheel base and track

Ok thank you very much for your advice I appreciate it and will follow instructions :thumbsup_anim:

* Symmetry and setback

* Wheel base and track

Ok thank you very much for your advice I appreciate it and will follow instructions :)

Call me if needs be and i will tell them what to do> 0794 842 7383

• 1 month later...