Horror of the week 11/06/09

Tony

Alfa 156 waggon..... Notice anything strange?

post-2-1244748161.jpg

post-2-1244748182.jpg

Maybe the garage wasn't sure how the trailing arm fits

post-2-1244748254.jpg

If their not sure they could always check the other side....... it's all the way on the other side "turn your head".

post-2-1244748331.jpg

Consequence of this mistake is that the two arms radii are not syncinized so on bump the wheel tragically toes out.

How is this sort of stuff legal ?

Do WIM have to report these things, or are there no official channels ?

I think our "horror of the week" is unique in the UK. Fact is no repair centre has to abide to any legal standard, obviously the owner has rights if things go wrong and any company can sign up to a work standard but in truth our trusting nature leaves us open to abuse.

So take the scenario....

Someone does 'interesting' work on the already twitchy s2k... I bin the car because the handling is so far out .... Clearly no comeback I'd have thought ?

Depends on the circumstances

* If the angles where within OEM tolerance's then the accident could be deemed as driver error.

* If the angles where custom then it depends if a disclaimer was signed.

* If no disclaimer was signed then proof would be needed that driver error still wasn't to blame.

Fact is there's no law on Geometric positions but the calibration still falls under the sale of goods act albeit services rather than material.

• 2 weeks later...