Are coilovers any good?

littlebrownbike

I've always liked the idea of having a set of coilovers....10mm lower, 10% stiffer and jobs a goodun but I'm put off by two things.

Firstly, I once saw two sets of coilovers side by side, one was for a Fiesta and the other an M5, apart from the mounting brackets, they were supposedly identical. My concern is, how can an M5, which is bigger and heavier, have the same suspension setup as a Fiesta? I got the impression that manufacturers were making coilovers for the sake of it.

Secondly, how hard is it to setup the coilovers? I'm under the impression that Ford spent a lot of time testing different suspension setups to find the optimum stiffness, height, rebound etc....if I fitted a set of coilovers surely I would need to do the same testing?

Cheers

they may of looked identical, but the chances are they would of had different spring rates, and bump and rebound rates too

It would depend on the car, usage etc to wether coilovers would be worth it.

im sure i will be corrected if im wrong :lol:

they may of looked identical, but the chances are they would of had different spring rates, and bump and rebound rates too

It would depend on the car, usage etc to wether coilovers would be worth it.

im sure i will be corrected if im wrong :lol:

No your spot on.... Our GAZ coilovers have five different rates and look almost identical, obviously they need a generous bump/rebound range to support this and they do.

As for the perfect settings that's another thing. Normally you follow the manufacturers recommend settings and tune from there incrementally.

Thats nice to know, I may consider coilovers when the time comes for new suspension....how easy are they to configure?

Depends on the type you get... most nowadays have a single point bump/rebound adjuster so all you have to do is satisfy yourself on the body height then personalise the final dampening positions, if you also get adjustable preload then it's another story.

Cool, seems more decent parts are being made for the mondeo. At just under a grand that's still expensive ain't it for what they are? How much extra cost goes into making coilovers compared to normal shocks and springs? :)

Everything considered, I think I will be staying with OEM suspension.

Coilovers have too many variables and it would be difficult to configure them to their optimum settings. With standard dampers and springs, you know that the manufacturer has spent hours of research, developement and testing in order to ensure maximum comfort, ride handling and reliability. Not to mention a damper for a Mondeo is about £70, and a set of springs are £130.