A few swan photos

Went to the park today for a picnic and took the camera with me. Saw these baby swans so couldn't resist taking a snap or 170 odd!! Here's a few though :huh:

aquadrome_19_260509.jpg

aquadrome_20_260509.jpg

aquadrome_23_260509.jpg

aquadrome_27_260509.jpg

aquadrome_28_260509.jpg

aquadrome_52_260509.jpg

aquadrome_56_260509.jpg

aquadrome_14_260509.jpg

aquadrome_25_260509.jpg

aquadrome_26_260509.jpg

Some very nice images there mate....... Your a bit of a snapper on the quiet aren't you :)

Yeah I'm happy enough with how some of them came out :)

I'm no amateur photographer though and it's only a £100 camera, not a £1,000 nikon, canon etc!

It does have more features than a 'point and shoot' though so I can have a play around more. Some didn't come out so well but it's all trial and error :)

And there was me expecting to see some pics of "The Swan Pub" :) Dno why i thought that...!? Some really nice pics though Rich ...why would people want to harm these beautifull things..? like janey says the signets are lovely until they grow up.!! My Auntie used to run a swan/bird sanctury in Boxmoor but man do the adult female swans get a bit tempremental.! like most female`s i surpose...... :) :) could be letting myself in for a bit off a pasteing here... :)

And there was me expecting to see some pics of "The Swan Pub" :) Dno why i thought that...!? Some really nice pics though Rich ...why would people want to harm these beautifull things..? like janey says the signets are lovely until they grow up.!! My Auntie used to run a swan/bird sanctury in Boxmoor but man do the adult female swans get a bit tempremental.! like most female`s i surpose...... :) :) could be letting myself in for a bit off a pasteing here... :)

Is it true that only the Queen can eat swans?

I prefer lamb chops myself, these were snapped in a field just outside Broadway a few days ago:-

20090522Lambs.jpg

Those Cygnets are sooo cute & fluffy - shame they grow up :)

We saw a pair of Black swans near Wisbech at the weekend, not seen black ones outside of Dorset/Devon before

Great pics too :D

Cygnets! I knew there was a name for them, couldn't think of it!

Didn't even know there were black swans...what makes them that colour then? :)

Where's The Swan Pub then Daz? :)

It is shocking what some people have done to these animals and ducks. Can't be right in the head to want to kill/maim them :)

Be careful what you say there mate, you will have the women after you!! :)

Nice photo Tony, where was that taken?

You really do need to increase the size of your images and learn to resize them...it only takes a minutes if done automatically :(

You really do need to increase the size of your images and learn to resize them...it only takes a minutes if done automatically :(

Southend.... what a nice brake that was :rolleyes:

This image lark? i don't understand!! it looks perfect on my pc.

Nice goat! :(

You really do need to increase the size of your images and learn to resize them...it only takes a minutes if done automatically :rolleyes:

Southend.... what a nice brake that was :(

Thought I recognised it...Westcliff seafront :(

It may look ok but if you wanted to zoom in it would look very pixelated, whereas if you take a large photo and resize (a duplicate copy) for posting on the web.

Nice goat! :(

Southend.... what a nice brake that was :rolleyes:

Thought I recognised it...Westcliff seafront :)

It may look ok but if you wanted to zoom in it would look very pixelated, whereas if you take a large photo and resize (a duplicate copy) for posting on the web.

Don't zoom then..... or is it compulsory :( ....... Is the size ok though?

Don't zoom then..... or is it compulsory :rolleyes: ....... Is the size ok though?

That size is fine for web use, in fact you can go larger as the majority have broadband now so can cope with the extra download time from the larger file size. They're not really any good for print quality at that size though...if you want a large print of that image it would look crap.

Open this image in a new window, just click it and zoom in, and look how big it is. It's lost some quality as I've resaved it to get the file size down but I could probably get a decent poster print at that size.

Aquadrome_May09_14.jpg

Now look at yours, again in a new window at full size, which I've resaved at the same size as mine and you can see the image loss with the pixels showing. If you took the original at the largest size the camera allows you can then resize to the smaller one :(

tonysimage.jpg

Don't zoom then..... or is it compulsory :rolleyes: ....... Is the size ok though?

That size is fine for web use, in fact you can go larger as the majority have broadband now so can cope with the extra download time from the larger file size. They're not really any good for print quality at that size though...if you want a large print of that image it would look crap.

Open this image in a new window, just click it and zoom in, and look how big it is. It's lost some quality as I've resaved it to get the file size down but I could probably get a decent poster print at that size.

post-438-1243462788.jpg

Now look at yours, again in a new window at full size, which I've resaved at the same size as mine and you can see the image loss with the pixels showing. If you took the original at the largest size the camera allows you can then resize to the smaller one :(

post-438-1243462829.jpg

I wouldn't load large images for web viewing. Not everyone has a large screen so they may have to scroll to see the whole pic and too much image width can pull a website out of shape. Not everyone has broadband so several 300k images can represent a significant download time. But perhaps the most telling thing is that if you put up large detailed images, you are inviting the unscrupulous to steal them.

Generally I limit my displayed images to 600 pixels on the longest side and to a file size of not more than 100k. Here is an image with this sizing and I think it has sufficient detail for web viewing. The original is 30Mb plus.

20090522SnowshillSun.jpg

I wouldn't load large images for web viewing. Not everyone has a large screen so they may have to scroll to see the whole pic and too much image width can pull a website out of shape. Not everyone has broadband so several 300k images can represent a significant download time. But perhaps the most telling thing is that if you put up large detailed images, you are inviting the unscrupulous to steal them.

Generally I limit my displayed images to 600 pixels on the longest side and to a file size of not more than 100k. Here is an image with this sizing and I think it has sufficient detail for web viewing. The original is 30Mb plus.

20090522SnowshillSun.jpg

I've tested the automatic resize on the forum and it's fine even if your monitor resolution is set to 800 x 600...even works great on my mobile and this thread took about 10 seconds to load! :( Most (all) browsers will automatically resize images to fit the screen when opened in a new window anyway.

That image you posted I'd imagine was taken with a DSLR camera so the quality would be excellent to start with compared to my bridge camera. I usually resize mine to 800 x 600 as I find 640 x 480 too small but do use 1024 x 768 for people who want a closer more detailed look.

I agree though, the above size is too large for web use, I was just showing Tony it's much better to start large and then reduce the size, so if you ever wanted to print them the quality is there in the original.

If you're worried about people stealing the images put a watermark on, although this can be got around by cropping. Putting one across the whole image just spoils it so unfortunately there's not alot you can do about it apart from not post them up. It's the same with flash movies, there's loads of software out there that allows you to separate all the elements that make them up and the coding used. Firefox even downloads the movies when you save a web page!

Cygnets! I knew there was a name for them, couldn't think of it!

Didn't even know there were black swans...what makes them that colour then? :(

And there was me expecting to see some pics of "The Swan Pub" :rolleyes: Dno why i thought that...!? Some really nice pics though Rich ...why would people want to harm these beautifull things..? like janey says the signets are lovely until they grow up.!! My Auntie used to run a swan/bird sanctury in Boxmoor but man do the adult female swans get a bit tempremental.! like most female`s i surpose...... :( :( could be letting myself in for a bit off a pasteing here... :)

Black swans are native to Australian wetlands and a number have been introduced here (though not many as they aren't yet a recognised species as there aren't enough of them) guess they are black a bit like you get white & black ducks (I think LOL)

LOL @ Dazza ....apparently the black swans which live at York Uni get aggressive against the Students so yeah maybe they have permanent pmt :)

And for the history lesson..... Swans were quite a common food then in the 15th Century someone decided they belonged to the crown and can only be eaten 'by royal favour' in other words if her Maj says yes you can munch :) Then in the 17th Century the Vintners' and Dyers' Companies were granted shared ownership (they are the ones who now count the swans on the Thames) Though apparently they & the Queen only 'own' Mute swans which are the common white with orange beak & black bit around the beak & eyes.

& supposedly the only people who eat swans nowdays are hungry immigrants & banquet guests at St Johns College Cambridge :)