When to be the police

Tony

We had a COP install (Customers Own Property) rear suspension on the rear of a old Golf GTI, no problems there other than the fact the OEM top mounts needed to be transported to the new suspension units... Unfortunately one of the top mounts broke away from it's cup housing meaning the damper shaft was able to detach on droop.

We was unable to replace the mount since the parts are no longer readily available and i wasn't keen to let this owner drive the car in this condition.. I argued "you cannot" drive the car away in this condition but the owner was adamant so off he went.

Did i have the right to stop him?...... do i have a professional duty not to let him drive away?.

Couldn't you phone the police and say they're driving a car which is unroadworthy?

Yes but it's a difficult one..... the owner would be miffed to say the least, plus the police would deem this a very low priority if at all.

Some years ago i did refuse a customers car return.... It was around lunch time and he returned to collect the car and was absolutely ratted, the police sat outside of the centre and pulled him once on the road..... :thumbsup_anim:

Couldn't you phone the police and say they're driving a car which is unroadworthy?

Yes but it's a difficult one..... the owner would be miffed to say the least, plus the police would deem this a very low priority if at all.

Some years ago i did refuse a customers car return.... It was around lunch time and he returned to collect the car and was absolutely ratted, the police sat outside of the centre and pulled him once on the road..... :thumbsup_anim:

Yeah plus he'd probably spread a bad word or 2 about you!

Well done for reporting the guy, people like that who have no respect for other road users or pedestrians need to be taught a lesson like that ;)

Probably best to get him to sign something absolving you of responsibility by driving it away and stating the exact condition /fault.

"Ding"....... sound of penny dropping?...... I'll be in the corner over there>...........................................* if anyone wants to throw bloody obvious stones, i even have disclaimer papers at the centre but never thought to use them.... :thumbsup_anim:

Yep definately think a disclaimer is the way to go especially on client supplied goods - that way you can't later be accused (heaven forbid) if say the car did fall apart on the way home all because he decided he wanted to drive away against your advice and not be able to say "but you let me take it away, it's your fault"

Even probably worth it when you find even a minor niggle that way nothing is left to chance - extra paperwork is a pain but if there's the possiblity that one day it could be your saving grace then its worth it and hopefully people may think twice about going against your better judgement

Don't forget to do them in duplicate though so they have a copy & you have one to keep on record.