Honda S2000

Tony

We have been fortunate to have a little project about to start thanks to Gareth A.... owner of this Honda S2000

post-2-1233228036.jpg

We will be stiffening the chassis using Cusco "sprung/ unsprung bracing" and a Powerflex Polly install, followed by a unique Geometric chassis calibration.

.....Oh and fitting a new clutch :thumbsup_anim:

The clutch and bracing should go without a hitch, whereas the Powerflex may open issues with the S2000's historic seized bushing anchor points, needless to say i will blog the trials and tribulations as we go.

To Date we have the Cusco kit

post-2-1233174259.jpg

Tomorrow the Powerflex bushings should arrive... First install will be the clutch.

We are using a Exedy clutch, OEM release bearing and we will change the spigot bearing

post-2-1233228219.jpg

Here's the beast it's self

post-2-1233228367.jpg

It appears the gear box has been worked on before since there's a bolt missing from the gear change linkage and one from the bell housing.

post-2-1233228648.jpg

This morning the Powerflex bushings arrived :whistle:

post-2-1233228733.jpg

Next step was plenty of plus-gas on all the bushing anchor points.

post-2-1233228801.jpg

Subject to some plumbing the clutch is done and gearbox in...... We spent some time working the bushings to free them off ready for tomorrow polly install.

The rear ARB has been removed but the drop-links didn't survive.

post-2-1233262562.jpg

Two more have been ordered and i also ordered the fronts since these a not normally a stock item just in case they go the same way.

Hi guys,

Better reply to this thread with it being my car !!

Cusco ARB's are 32mm front and 30mm rear. Looks like your making good progress so far Tony, look forward to the other installmentz, my f5 key is wearing out at work!!!

Those are thick bars compared to mine! :whistle:

What is the OEM size?

It varies year to year on the s2000, early ones like mine are the thickest I believe, think they are about 28mm ?

Interesting to see the drop links had given up, had they gone to the point of impacting performance or was it just rubber fatigue when removed ?

Poor design resulting in failure when removing.

She fought us all the way today..... As expected the rear camber bolts were fused to the bushings inner metal core

post-2-1233347563.jpg

Resulting with the need for us to cut them out

post-2-1233347675.jpg

Once off the it was out with the old

post-2-1233347748.jpg

In with the new

post-2-1233347808.jpg

Rear upper/ lower fitted

post-2-1233347985.jpg

Front upper/ lower fitted

post-2-1233348039.jpg

Front and rear arb's installed, we managed to save the front drop-links :crying_anim02:

post-2-1233348112.jpg

post-2-1233348126.jpg

Front and rear chassis braces fitted

post-2-1233348179.jpg

post-2-1233348208.jpg

Tomorrow we will have new bolts from Honda for the rear and we need to fit the strut brace, after that it's calibration time :D

Nicely done Tony, looks superb. Can't wait for collection tomorrow !

For both my benefit and anyone else reading this, what, if anything can be done to stop these bolts siezing again after doing this work? I'm sure i've heard people use copper grease?

The bolts won't react the same in the polly's as they did in the oem bushings but we greased them anyway. As you know we have to wait for some bits tomorrow and we have two suspension installs in the morning, so i expect Tony back on the project around mid-day, i hope to fit the car in for calibration around 2pm so we are looking around 3pm for completion.

Sounds perfect. Any objections to me coming down a bit early to have a peek at you chaps working your magic?

No not at all.... It's going to be manic tomorrow so your on your own :D .... Often clubs use the centre as a meeting point and to see whats going on so don't be surprised if 10 Mazda's or whatever turns up :crying_anim02:

Good looking job there :D

That is going to handle superbly now and you will be like this :crying_anim02: on the drive home.

The car was pretty good at Bedford prior to these mods, but it felt a little... unstable through the faster corners, this should help give me a bit more feel and control as to whats going on. After these mods and ive got used to it and find these limits... I'll start looking into the coilovers :)

Good looking job there :)

That is going to handle superbly now and you will be like this :D on the drive home.

The car was pretty good at Bedford prior to these mods, but it felt a little... unstable through the faster corners, this should help give me a bit more feel and control as to whats going on. After these mods and ive got used to it and find these limits... I'll start looking into the coilovers :)

Leads to another question.... I assume you desire progressive over-steer?