HELP! Battery died!

Popped to the shops earlier and had the blowers on for 5 minutes while waiting for the missus and it killed the battery! :D Got it started, went to where I was going and now it's dead. I think the problems I had with me starter motor which drained the battery a few times and the cold winter has killed it. Only 2 years old as well!

Gonna charge it tonight and see what happens, plus I have the one this replaced but 3 dry cells!

I've reserved one at halfords, only place I can think of thats open tomorrow as need it sorted for monday. It's £95 (great!) but 10% off this weekend, plus vat saving and £2 off voucher for old battery makes it about £80 (bit better! :D )

Are halfords ones any good though? It's lead free and maintenace free.

There is the place at the bottom of Field Way ( used to be Tornado Cars ), maybe worth a try before 6 pm tonight to see if they are open tomorrow.

For someone who lives in worcs you seem to know the area? I don't live far from field way!! Not sure where you're on about though. There used to be a motor shop along moneyhill but it closed a couple of years ago. There's the garage along uxbridge road just up from field way if you mean there...fairway tyres?

No it's not Tony. On me way to get it now and will check the levels. I don't have distilled water but heard you can use cold boiled water?

I've used boiled for years :D

Just looked, 5 cells are at the correct level and 1 is nearly dry. Will top it up and charge tonight, if it struggles in the morning I'm gonna have to go get mugged by halfrauds! :D

No it's not Tony. On me way to get it now and will check the levels. I don't have distilled water but heard you can use cold boiled water?

I've used boiled for years :D

Just looked, 5 cells are at the correct level and 1 is nearly dry. Will top it up and charge tonight, if it struggles in the morning I'm gonna have to go get mugged by halfrauds! :D

Is the dry one next to the positive?

Is the dry one next to the positive?

Funny you say that as it is. Just read it could be a sign of overcharging and causing the water to boil?

No it's sign the battery's knacked.... worth a go at topping up and re-charging whatever.

Well I bought it 2 years ago and it comes with a 2 year guarantee! :D Was the cheapest allparts did at the time and cost £48...get what you pay for!

I will see if it starts the car and keep as a spare. Will get the one from halfrauds unless you can recommend any? Don't really wanna be stuck at work though! :D

This one is a drivemaster so think I will avoid them now. Didn't stand up too much!

KF is open on a sunday :rolleyes:

Dunno what's worse, KF or halfrauds...no offence mate ;)

What's the correct way to fit battery terminals, positive then negative or vise versa?

Remove neg then pos... refit pos then neg

Thanks Tony, did it wrong removing them but then I suppose it doesn't matter when it's flat! :angry2: Will fit correctly tomorrow ;)

Dunno what's worse, KF or halfrauds...no offence mate ;)

What's the correct way to fit battery terminals, positive then negative or vise versa?

Thanks Tony, did it wrong removing them but then I suppose it doesn't matter when it's flat! :angry2: Will fit correctly tomorrow :D

If you don't can you take a picture of my house on the way over ;)

Dunno what's worse, KF or halfrauds...no offence mate :)

Thanks Tony, did it wrong removing them but then I suppose it doesn't matter when it's flat! ;) Will fit correctly tomorrow :)

If you don't can you take a picture of my house on the way over :D

lol...dunno if I can fly that far! ;)

On a serious note you don't get a shock doing it wrong do you? :angry2:

Thanks Tony, did it wrong removing them but then I suppose it doesn't matter when it's flat! ;) Will fit correctly tomorrow :)

lol...dunno if I can fly that far! ;)

On a serious note you don't get a shock doing it wrong do you? :angry2:

The only shock you get is a battery in the face if the gasses explode.

Thanks Tony, did it wrong removing them but then I suppose it doesn't matter when it's flat! :) Will fit correctly tomorrow :)

lol...dunno if I can fly that far! :)

On a serious note you don't get a shock doing it wrong do you? :)

The only shock you get is a battery in the face if the gasses explode.

;) I will be checking this thread before I fit just to make sure I get it right then! ;)

The battery in Halfords is - 640 Amps and 70 AH

The battery I have at the moment is - 540 Amps and 63 AH

The battery that was on the car when I first got it was - 680 Amps and 71 AH

So looks like I got what I paid for then! Should've spent the extra £25 and got the better one! :angry2:

Now I'm really pee'd off! Just driven to watford to get battery and they have none in stock! WTF why let me reserve if none in stock! :rolleyes: Said can get you one tuesday but I need it today! I askeD why let me reserve and the pair of teenagers with bad acne just grunted at me! Going to Essex now to get one!

What a bunch of clowns :angry2:

Indeed! :rolleyes:

Anyway the old man got me one as was going to the folks today anyway. Not as powerful as I wanted, it's 590 watt and 65Ah but it'll do the job and get me to work! ;)

What's confusing is that was the recommended size in their book, yet halfords was different and so was allparts! Can't find anywhere what ford suggest.

For someone who lives in worcs you seem to know the area? I don't live far from field way!! Not sure where you're on about though. There used to be a motor shop along moneyhill but it closed a couple of years ago. There's the garage along uxbridge road just up from field way if you mean there...fairway tyres?

I used to live down that way, and was down there yesterday visiting my mum :rolleyes:

Did you get it sorted? It was the tyre place I meant.

I used to live down that way, and was down there yesterday visiting my mum :huh:

Did you get it sorted? It was the tyre place I meant.

That would be why then :o I got one in Essex when visiting me folks so all sorted now. Not keen on fairway tyres, they're more about how much they can make rather than customer service. Used them once when I forgot the MOT expired and it failed on rear discs and pads. They wanted £250 to do the work...I bought the parts for £40 and fitted meself! :rolleyes: