Had new rear tyres

Doodlebug

Hi

I had my rear tyres replaced on my IS200 it originally had Potenza REO 40's these were replaced with same sized Potenza REO 50's.

Since then the car reacts to any deviation in the road. On a smooth road it is fine but is quite noticable on the motorways when you get the grooves that lorries wear into the tarmac where it moves left or right (Tramlining?) which can be quite disconcerting. It also does this on other roads where the surface is poor.

Nothing else has changed and was noticed soon after fitting, I have done about 1500 on them.

Any advice would be welcome.

Dudley

Hi Tony

I am not sure where to find the pattern code, this is what I have on the tyre size 215 45 R17 87W also E050EZ.

Any of these any good?

"EZ" is wrong for the Lex.... should be "CZ".... The patten code is the same "RE050" but the compound/ construction is not meant to the Lex.

Are the compound codes readily avaliable ? Something else I can use to wind-up our idiot supervisor ha ha.

Interesting though. Not as if the garage is likely to replace the tyres because of a compound code which they, presumeably, don't understand or knew existed ?

Hi Tony

I am not sure where to find the pattern code, this is what I have on the tyre size 215 45 R17 87W also E050EZ.

Any of these any good?

"EZ" is wrong for the Lex.... should be "CZ".... The patten code is the same "RE050" but the compound/ construction is not meant to the Lex.

What does EZ and CZ stand for and what's the difference?

Maybe you need a thread in here/on the website about all the different numbers and letters on tyres and what they actually mean...unless there is and I've missed it?

Hi Tony

Any of these any good?

What does EZ and CZ stand for and what's the difference?

Maybe you need a thread in here/on the website about all the different numbers and letters on tyres and what they actually mean...unless there is and I've missed it?

The "type specific" tyre explanations are being constructed on the wim and BB sites, although it will take time to cover all marques.

The compound/ structure codes are readily available from the manufacturer and these guides are law when it comes to tyre fitment.

I will not deviate from the "type specific" guides no matter how much money is involved....

Thanks for the replies, I will see what they say but I wont hold my breath.

Why?...... If there wrong then why are you so concerned about the outcome!!.... Do you want me to contact them for you.

I suppose it's all to do with not wanting to look silly in front of them as the majority of companies will see all tyres as being the same.

Abit like when they don't line the coloured dots up to where they should be or fit tyres with the coloured band facing the correct way and paired correctly.

Thanks for your help Tony, I may take you up on your offer if I do not get anywhere with them.

Don't be belittled.... Your car has a specific tyre construction/ compound requirement, it's up to them to ensure you have the correct version for your car... they are liable as would i be if i fitted the wrong version.

This is a example of the 040CZ> http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyres-detailed-inf...za-re040-cz.htm the later version is the same.

Would this information be in the manufacturers handbook, does it apply to all cars or just some?

It would be in the handbook and the info is type specific since the topic has serious overtones if the incorrect tyre is fitted.

The manufacture displays specific information to the dealers and owners that they have been "requested" to make a tyre that compliments that particular car......

Example

Pirelli 225/55/15 P6000

Pirelli 225/55/15 P6000 (j)

"J" what's that all about?...... The "J" is specific for the Jaguar and this tyre has one extra ply in the sidewall to support the additional weight of the Jaguar compared to the other marques using the P6000.

Failure to respect the "J" is the same as disrespecting the CZ.

Mines a LEX IS200 sport with the "18" styling alloys......so how would you know what the correct tyre fittment was....as in the specific code to suit the LEX..as in the handbook they dont specify the "18" only "17" Tony.. :rolleyes: i always went for the extra load 92Y like on the front pirrelli`s on the rear they are the Dunlop sport Maxx ( Japan) 88Y........ :lol: cant see any codes like CZ etc.......Thats why i always try to stick to as close to OEM tyres ( within reason ) as possible...as they spend lots of money testing tyres....

Tyres have specific marques nowadays so if you move away from the specific tyre then it's "buyer beware" time... A good tyre centre will know what's good and what's not so with a little guidance it's safe to deviate.

I know what you can and cannot fit on a Lex but i'm not so sure for a 350z for example, so in this case i wouldn't deviate from OEM recommendations.

Tyres have specific marques nowadays so if you move away from the specific tyre then it's "buyer beware" time... A good tyre centre will know what's good and what's not so with a little guidance it's safe to deviate.

I know what you can and cannot fit on a Lex but i'm not so sure for a 350z for example, so in this case i wouldn't deviate from OEM recommendations.

I believe the OEM spec tyres for 350Z was bridgestone potenza REO40`s and they say that deviating from the OEM spec ones is a major probllem and can cause no end of probs with the handling of the car...

The reason i say about my Pirelli`s on the front is although they are good tyres on the wet & dry is that they do get affected and cause tramlining...tyre pressure is spot on and the geo is ok..........

anyway getting of topic and this is Doodlebug`s post....soz matey :)