CIH's Training Thread

CIH

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a base you need a castor of around +4d, this will help the cambers migrate during transition. Another aspect of this would be the inner wheels extended castor sweep, this will reduce the rear cocking a paw.

The power steering can cope with such a high castor by the way :D

This reminded me of something. Sometimes I see camber that is more or less static during sweep. So is there a point where the castor-camber couple becomes more pronounced (ie such as 4d indicated above) ?

As a base you need a castor of around +4d, this will help the cambers migrate during transition. Another aspect of this would be the inner wheels extended castor sweep, this will reduce the rear cocking a paw.

The power steering can cope with such a high castor by the way :D

This reminded me of something. Sometimes I see camber that is more or less static during sweep. So is there a point where the castor-camber couple becomes more pronounced (ie such as 4d indicated above) ?

There little discernable difference until the lock is 10d or more, for accuracy i use 20d.

but is there a point, if you were to reduce castor (bear with me here) where it would impact unpon camber migration ?

It impacts immediately depending on the pivotal configuration, but i would say a 30' change in either direction from the design position is a concern.

The configuration hadn't occured to me tbh. :smile_anim:

Example

DB9 with an incorrect castor of 45' and toe 30'..... I could correct the toe and in doing so correct the castor all in one move. Obviously this is a very close configuration.

have you noticed there seems to be a common perception of deeper castor being detremental to directional "agility" ?

Very much so if the long castor has a low camber.... Look at the drifty's we set, 7-8-9 degrees of castor (merc territory) but with 3 or 4d of camber.

seems like deeper castor is the first stop when evolving a geo set-up ? But I've read (and was told) by two seperate places that deeper castor is detremental to lateral "agility" ? turn-in ? not sure on terminolgy here.

seems like deeper castor is the first stop when evolving a geo set-up ? But I've read (and was told) by two seperate places that deeper castor is detremental to lateral "agility" ? turn-in ? not sure on terminolgy here.

Fast road/ track/ drift and so on need the long castor to maintain high speed stability and aid camber migration, time-trials/ hill/ sprint would use a low castor since high speed stability isn't a requirement but the smaller corner radii is.

would the hill/sprint peeps not appreicate the camber migration too ?

They still have it but in a much smaller increment.... Think of the difference between the speed corner in and radii of a track car -V- a sprint corner in and radii

I was mostly chuffed with the rear toe/thrust. N/S/F camber was like a 20 second job. Pre-WIM-trip I'd always try to crack-off the upper-hub/stur bolts with the wheel & target in-situ, which was a mare.

I just noticed the cross SAI/IA disparity. Hadn't spotted that before

I was mostly chuffed with the rear toe/thrust. N/S/F camber was like a 20 second job. Pre-WIM-trip I'd always try to crack-off the upper-hub/stur bolts with the wheel & target in-situ, which was a mare.

I just noticed the cross SAI/IA disparity. Hadn't spotted that before

SAI is good.

Doesn't it help determine where the actual bend is ? Useful if the primary position cannot be recovered jah ? TBH I was surprised to get the -30" I was looking for on the N/S.

If the cambers are adjustable then using the SAI/IA for diagnostics is more or less redundant.... In these cases if the actual camber position is correct you have to ignore the SAI unless the disparity is more than 2d..... The 2d is my limit, not a globally recognized limit because there's no global SAI disparity and those that show a disparity display pointless limits.