Exploding damper - 23/08/08

Tony

We had an MR2 in today for some upgrades and it needed to be on the two poster.... As the front rolled over the run-up at 1mph the NSF damper literally exploded

post-2-1219516577.jpg

Normally a worn damper will weep then leak and that's it other than a huge collision... I've never seen one blow like this literally :huh:

Omfg B) thats a first.....Is it aftermarket or oem shock? And please dont say there spax :huh:

It's a Billie so don't worry :huh: .... Truth is it's a first for me to, i've seen them weep and leak but never blowout like this one.

We had an MR2 in today for some upgrades and it needed to be on the two poster.... As the front rolled over the run-up at 1mph the NSF damper literally exploded

post-2-1219516577.jpg

Normally a worn damper will weep then leak and that's it other than a huge collision... I've never seen one blow like this literally :huh:

is that wheel collecting balance weights !!

weight of that wheel probably caused the damper to explode :huh:

post-2-1219516577.jpg

is that wheel collecting balance weights !!

weight of that wheel probably caused the damper to explode :huh:

Nothing to do with us...... I would have told the owner but his day was bad enougth already.

Didnt notice that :huh: ive got a fare thew waights on my 100+s new tyres in 2 weeks so should loose a few then :)

wish id kept the old spax oils that were on the front of the astra to show you tony. Thay spat at you when you tugged it plunger :) speaking of oil ( off topic ) but il appologise now for any anonymous drips of oil on the floor :huh:

i have told rich to get it looked at B)

i have just cleaned it off a bit so maybe ok :)

have the cloth and cleaner ready :)

What would happen to the car if that exploded when it was being driven?

Don't let Jammy take his motor into the centre Tony, he will ruin the lovely clean floor!! :P :lol:

Instant failure like that is catastrophic as you can imagine so who know's what would have happened on the road?

As for jammy's motor........................... it can stay the other side of the main barrier :P

More then 3 drips it will need a push :P

feal the need to bring a icecream tub :P

From what i've read i thought you were driving one ;)

:) thats bang out of order that comment ;)

more oil on the floor for you tommoro :lol:

More then 3 drips it will need a push ;)

feal the need to bring a icecream tub :)

From what i've read i thought you were driving one :)

:) thats bang out of order that comment :)

more oil on the floor for you tommoro :)

Anyhoo i thought you were quite familiar with exploding dampers :)