Honda Jazz with excessive rear camber

Rich

You will need to click the image to see the larger version and sorry if the text is too small the batteries need charging for the normal camera. If you want hi-res ones I will take some tomorrow.

Now although I don't own a Jap motor I always buy the older issues when I'm down the market and this article caught my eye.

A Honda Jazz which has 15 degrees of negative rear camber!! :) The owner said he gets 'really fast' tyre wear, it handles brilliantly and looks good! :)

Now to me I think it looks crap and being on 19's that's gonna cost alot in tyres! But is there any truth in it handling better like this?

What do you guys think of it then?

hondajazz1.jpg

hondajazz2.jpg

I read that feture :o surly that dont handle that well ;) supprised he hasnt got a nikin off mr plod too....

look's awsome from a side veiw imo :D

When i first see it i thought it were a merc a class :)

It's pants.......The car will understeer big time.

Also i would expect the bearings to go in no time and there's an issue with the studs braking.

I wonder who recommended having the camber like that in the first place :mellow:

Personaly i think it looks naff.. :o was that in this months Banzai magazine. ;)

December 2007, got it down Bovvy market :o

• 3 weeks later...

this is an old japanese style, called Oni-kyan (鬼キャン)

Oni-kyan literally means 'Demon Camber'. It's been used for many types of car modification whether it be a drift car, a WSìüµü ('Kaidou' or Highway Racer), or even RC cars but these days it's mostly found on VIP cars or modified vans. For a while Demon Camber was popular with drifters but has since fallen out of favor as the negatives like increased wear and loss of overall stability outweighed the positives of having more front end grip... so Oni-kyan has become a visual style more than anything. The wildest Oni-kyan fitments are usually in the realm of VIP cars, often they run 12 inch or wider alloy wheels that necessitate a lot of negative camber in order to fit these wider wheels underneath the standard wheel arches while keeping the car as low as possible.

To get the best effect the offset of the wheels are carefully chosen to get the top outer edge of the rim exactly in line with the body work with the bottom outer edge sticking way outside the body of the car, sometimes at angles of 10 or even 15 degrees! Depending on the owners budget, airbag or coil over suspension is used to get the car low while front and rear upper arms about 10mm or more shorter than standard are used to get Demon Camber angles. Front wheel drive vans (even Kei vans) with beam rear suspension use 'camber axels' to get up to 8 degrees negative camber at the rear.

Needless to say excessive tire wear and increased wheel bearing stress make this type of tuning only for those who favor looks over drivability and low maintenance.

here is some a little more extreme examples 8)

koyay32_011.gif

athlete2.jpg

1cmbr.jpg

p7n.jpg

dsdassssd.jpg

and they are driving!