Maintaining Rose jointed arms

Tony

Rose joints allow the locked end of the component to rotate and is a superb aftermarket design. The only down side is they need to be maintained because the moving parts are open to the elements.

post-2-1200334095.jpg

post-2-1200334631.jpg

Problem is what to use?.... Well i suggest a spray wax. This is used on motorbike chains, it's able to line the polished working areas and it's not sticky or corrosive..

What would you suggest to use?

Loads of grease and a rubber boot , if you cant find a boot use some strong plastic and cable tie's . ;)

I agree but unfortunately most times the joint is in between the locking points and mobile so a protective boot is not possible.

i spray molybelodeumeumemumeum grease on them

I recall reading somewhere that Tungsten disulphide offered advantages over molybdenum disulphide as a "dry" lubricant. Does anyone know whether it is yet available in a sray form similar to the moly disulphide suspensions?

I thought you made that word up for a moment.... or a keyboard stutter ;) ..... Apparently not.

Wouldn't "grease" being sticky retain dirt and grime?

Yes - the joints don't look very well designed for operation in a "harsh" environment. They need a "floating" shroud on either side and a grease nipple.

I thought you made that word up for a moment.... or a keyboard stutter :D ..... Apparently not.

You're joking right??? Molybdenum (Mo) ... 'Molyslip' products... Spray cans of Molybdenum Disulphide...

The Molybdenum Disulphide molecules arrange themselves into plates with a laminar structure in which each molybdenum atom is sandwiched between two sulphur atoms. The sulphur atoms are attracted to metal and therefore become plated or bonded on to each of the adjacent bearing surfaces. In between these two platings further layers of molecules form. The sulphur-to-metal bonding is very strong, but the sulphur-to-sulphur bonding between adjacent molecules is very weak.

Thus, there are two bearing surfaces, each protectively plated by a layer of Molybdenum Disulphide molecules with sliding or lubricating layers of molecules in between. In this way direct contact of metal-to-metal surfaces is prevented, friction is considerably reduced, with the consequent elimination of local heating, wear is inhibited and protection achieved even under extreme conditions of pressure and temperature.

The molecular thickness of Molybdenum Disulphide is such that there are approximately 40,000 lubricating or cleavage planes in an MoS2 film one thousandth of an inch thick!

The Molybdenum Disulphide plating is, in effect, a separating layer of immense strength, greater than the yield stress of most metals...and in addition it possesses the low coefficient of friction of ·03 to ·06 which gives more efficient lubrication combined with this greater protection.