Tyre stretching

mark

When looking for new tyres I tend to go for the same size thats on the wheel already. I know that you can possibly fit a wider tyre on the same Wheel depending on the profile, but why would anyone want to fit a narrower tyre on a wide wheel?

While browsing youtube I found the video clip listed below.

The clip shows a 195/45/15 tyre being fitted to a 15x9 wheel.

Two questions

1. Won't the tyre bead pull off the rim when cornering.

2. Why have wide wheels with narrow tyres? why not just fit narrow wheels? It's not as if you would gain a grip advantage.

If you cant find the link just look for tyre stretching theres loads of videos.

Mark

That method of inflation was born from Iceland 4X4 expeditions, where they run the tyres at 10psi in order to retain traction.

The stretched tyre often comes off the rim, on the track anyway?

In answer to you question why... I did cover the topic before> http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/ind...p?showtopic=572

In my youth i fitted 205mm width tyres on 110mm wide wheels....... The car used to float :party:

The tyres on the front of my 250 seem a bit narrow for the rim...225 x 19 on 8.5JJ. Only real problem with that is there's no rubber to protect against kerbing :thumbsup_anim: You've unsettled me now..I'll be thinking the bead will roll off the rim. Need to put 235's on .

In my youth i fitted 205mm width tyres on 110mm wide wheels....... The car used to float :D

The tyres on the front of my 250 seem a bit narrow for the rim...225 x 19 on 8.5JJ. Only real problem with that is there's no rubber to protect against kerbing :D You've unsettled me now..I'll be thinking the bead will roll off the rim. Need to put 235's on .

No, it takes extreme lateral force to detach the tyre..... Track, drift, cliff :)

Another 10mm although welcomed would only offer preservation of the rim.

all my tyres are stretched onto the rim, it makes the tyre sidewalls stiffer, and they have less roll, meaning the tyre becomes more predictable

the front has 225/35/18 on a 8.5j rim

the rear has 225/40/18 on a 9.5j rim

wim2.jpg

Despite the width differential mat's tyres were easy to inflate :D

Surely it depends on the Rim design...if there's sufficient land on the rim (the width of the diameter of the rim that the bead seals on) a narrow tyre should still inflate easily.

what is stretch?

- "stretch" refers to stretching a narrower tire over a wider wheel, the sidewalls stretch from the lip to the tread

why do stretched tires?

- well the whole thing started in germany/belgium, local laws required that the tire tread be within the fender line. well that doesnt allow one to run wider or lower offset wheels, so they put narrower tires on the wheel to maintain legality

- when you would like to run really wide or low offset wheels and keep the tire tread at the fender

- when you would like to go really low and not rub

isnt this unsafe?

- there hasnt been any soild evidence that running a stretched tire is any more dangerous than a regular tire.

--

I did it on my Altezza, minimal loss on handling side, but allows for more agressive offset as i am able to push the wheels out further (215s on an 8, 235s on a 9.5 <was going to go 225s)

S133.jpg

S137.jpg

example there..

This imo is when its taking it too far

harborsundaywx9.jpg

dsc00511dw0.jpg

The last image is unbelievable..... The tyre bead is inside out :thumbsup_anim:

erm, isnt that the Rim protector tony :D

might have been once ;)

i like the Euro look

maybe pointless but then aren`t all looks pointless

The last image is unbelievable..... The tyre bead is inside out :thumbsup_anim:

erm, isnt that the Rim protector tony ;)

It must be the bead "i think"....

The stretch is to severe even the air pressure cannot push the bead to the rim's lip.