My handling problems

I thought it would be a good idea to start a fresh thread as not to hi-jack the other one even more!

Here is the print out from the wheel alignment, it all looks good but I'm not sure if they got my the model of my car correct; it says except 3l but in standard trim the diesels have the same suspension setup as the 3l/v6 apart from the St220. So I don't know if they are correct!

camb1.jpg

I took some pictures of the tyres and the fronts look normal, but I'm not sure if the back are correct; they sit like /\

camber.jpg

camber_2.jpg

camber_3.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I drove the car on 205/55/16s and it handled really well, the tyres had plenty of grip and there wasn't much body roll; and this was at Donnington Park so I was really pushing :thumbsup_anim: But with 225/40/18's there is NO additional grip, it handles exactly the same when it shouldn't. It should handle noticeably better, the tyres are good, the PSI is correct and the suspension is in good working condition. Its a bit slipperly in the wet but that could be down to the make of the tyres.

I drove the car on 205/55/16s and it handled really well, the tyres had plenty of grip and there wasn't much body roll; and this was at Donnington Park so I was really pushing :thumbsup_anim: But with 225/40/18's there is NO additional grip, it handles exactly the same when it shouldn't. It should handle noticeably better, the tyres are good, the PSI is correct and the suspension is in good working condition. Its a bit slipperly in the wet but that could be down to the make of the tyres.

The Geom report is fine. Also note the rear camber positions are only 30' more than the front. This difference shouldn't be detectable to the eye so the appearance of the rears being /\ is an illusion with the bigger wheels and the body styling.

Admittedly you have a gap on the rear tyres outer tread/sidewall but this is only due to the weight difference and pneumatic distortion.

What is the difference in the two wheel widths and off-sets?

The 16"s were 6.5 and the 18"'s are 7.5", not sure on the offset sorry! The 18"'s came on my friends Mondeo as standard, its the same model as mine but without the Eibachs. I have noticed the small gap on other cars well, as you said its down to less weight on the rear.

Ok... We are back to that SR again being the criminal.... Did you contact D/T

I didn't have time sadly, but I will do tomorrow! So what is the actual problem with my scrub radius? The tyres appear to make full contact with the road so one would think they are making use of all available grip!

The actual point of load is outside of the steer axis.... This area is supported by the KPI and camber.... If the actual point of load is within the imaginary lines then the weight of the vehicle is inert at the tyre... If the contact patch is outside then the weight adds forces the driver needs to react to making the car difficult to drive.

post-2-1186429831.jpg

I *think* I understand what your saying, guess I'll be hanging round this place a bit more as I have a lot to learn!

Don't we all mate, I get the gist of it but TBH alot of it takes me ages to absorb and actually understand what's being explained.

In the above pic Tony, the white lines, do they represent the wheel/tyre?

I assume thats that the white lines are! I'm just wondering if spacers would improve my SR!

Just looked on the other thread, they're for the wheel.

If you put spacers on won't you risk the tyres catching on the arch lip, especially with 225?

I've looked at the camber kits and it doesn't say they won't fit a MK3. Are the top mounts the same as the MK2 as that's what they replace?

• 2 weeks later...

Back to this...

I did a track day on the 16" wheels the other day and the car was perfect, all of the tyre was making full contact with the road as it was nice and evenly warn! I have now put the 18"'s back on once again have noticed a loss in handling, driving through puddles and mud shows the outside of the tyre isn't making full contact with the ground; as you can see in my picture!

camber2.JPG

So is this the scrub radius? Theres no camber kit for the Mk3 so it looks like I'm screwed, but saying that I know someone who is on standard dampers but lowered -30mm (mines 40/30) yet their car handles how it should, so whats up with that?

Now I'm seriously tempted to put my original springs back on, the garage want £80 for them fitted and I'll probably have to pay another £60 for a wheel alignment but thats the price you pay, I hate things not working how they should and I love the look of the larger wheels but hate the scary handling. I'm just worried that it won't resolve the problem!

Sorry to keep going on, but all comments welcome.

whats the tyre pressures

Offical figure is 38/34 but I've experimented around and found it to be of little use. The car drives fine in a straight line and respondes well to quick flicks but thats about it! I plan to pay the alignment centre a visit tomorrow and make sure they used the right settings, as I think they used the petrol 4 pot settings as opposed to the diesel/v6. Failing that should I ask them if they can try and set the scrub radius to as close to zero as possible?

I've spoken to a few other people who have the same setup as me and they've all set they've got no compliants :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if this means anything but there were some markings on the inside of the alloys.

ET 52.5 and 16h2 1s,7j-ba on the other :S

Edit: Can't I just go back to the alignment centre and ask them to put more positive/negative camber on?

Offset is 52.5, the width of the rim is 7"

You can't adjust the camber on the mondeo.

I still think you need to lower your tyre pressures abit from your other thread on MEG.

Your tyre size is correct for the wheels but I always thought the offset for the mondeo was between 35-45. These are genuine ford wheels though ain't they?

What's the offset of the 16's?

Yes they are genuine mate, not sure on the offset for the 16's it didn't appear to say on them! :lol:

I spoke with Kauzydog and Sisson and they said that the Eibachs have helped their handling, infact I bought these wheels off Sisson!

Sisson has the same motor as you if I'm right? Did he lower his the same amount as yours?

This really is strange though! :rolleyes: