Tesla S Bursts into Flames Whilst Recharging.......

Tony

Anything combustible is subject to a fire risk... What might be concerning here is if it is due to a fault in the charging and if so is it the connection or something along the lines that a charge will heat the battery up?

May not be relevant but the Lithium batteriies I use in some of my model aircraft need to be charged with care, and manufacturers clearly state that batteries should be charged either in a fireproof bag or away from any combustable material (I charge mine in a large biscuit tin on ceramic tiles). Also states that in no circumstances should you leave the batteries unattended while they are on charge. I've seen some horrendous video footage of Lithium battery fires and a member of our local model club had a lithium battery fire after he left it charging in his workshop while he made a cup of coffee in the kitchen. He had taken precautions so it didn't actually ignite anything else, but the smoke damage blackened the workshop and totalled a few things, including his motorcycle leathers.

So can only conclude that Lithium batteries are high risk on charge or discharge cycle.

Tango since this is a known factor wouldn't you expect Tesla to have controlled to heat cycle?...... From what i hear and read their batteries are state of the art Lithium construction?

It's not that simple though. Could be a faulty charger or whatever, similar to phones that have caught fire in the past.

Needs investigation before we draw any conclusions - better it happen out there in the open than in someone's garage!

Could've been arson by a frustrated oil worker ;)

Once they are alight though they will certainly burn well so a minor fire could become a big one but rather electric than lpg any day

I do wonder if the trick door handles would be a great idea in an accident or fire since they sit flat once the car is on , or when the car is parked

I do wonder if the trick door handles would be a great idea in an accident or fire since they sit flat once the car is on , or when the car is parked

Good question, I know that if an airbag is activated it unlocks the doors and extends the handles but what if that doesn't work?

The front doors have a mechanical linkage (you just have to pull the handle harder) but not sure if you can do this if the handles don't extend at all.

We still don't know what caused it. Those superchargers pump a massive amount of current in so any of the protection circuits could have failed. I read there are 8 standard Tesla chargers internally to make up one of their superchargers.

It's always going to be a problem with a containment of such a large amount of energy. I still believe solid to be better than liquid or gas, but once the dielectric has broken down the release of energy is tremendous. No different to a liquid/gas fuel explosion really.

There will be a time when there's no power to open the doors but apparently a small plastic card slotted in is enough to protrude them to get a hand in to pull fully so make sure you ask any first responder for their credit/debit card. :lol: