How to photograph lightning question?.....

Tony

Lightning isn't easy Tony - auto is no good. You need to devote some time to it, be patient and do some trial and error. There are storm chasers who have written about their experiences and reading them may help you. There is no magic bullet. First, remember that it's dangerous and you may be best off shooting from indoors (and it will keep the camera dry). You need the camera on a tripod; use a lens that will cover a reasonable area of the sky and use a remote release. Set the camera manually. Set the ISO to about 400; use a mid-range aperture so that you get a reasonable depth of field and don't lose too much of the available light (I would try f5.6 to start). Set the shutter on "bulb" so that you can open and close the shutter manually.

Frame the area of sky in which you anticipate lightning and focus manually on a distant point (a street light a couple of miles away is good). Then leave the settings alone. Open the shutter with the remote release and keep it open for a period. If there is a lightning flash, close the shutter at once and have a look at the image that resuts. If it's over exposed reduce the ISO setting; if under exposed increase the ISO.  You may need several attempts and it can take a long time to get something decent.

• Like 1

Thanks for the in depth explanation....I know the window to capture lightning is very small so added guidance is a great help.... I did manage a few shots years ago and captured a few strokes but they were not defined and although great for my ability at the time most would shrug them off.