Bonneville Salt Flats

parthiban

Visited Utah last summer, which included a trip to the Salt flats. Would have been great to see an event but kind of glad there was nothing on at the time as it was one of the most serene places I've ever been. Pure white salt as far as you can see, and a level of silence I haven't experienced anywhere else. It was quite amazing to not be fenced off or gated or anything, simply get to the end of a road and there it is. And you can just drive on and go as fast as you like!

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0565.JPG

IMG_0562.JPG

Surreal place for sure..... Was the salt sort of sticky?

No not at all, felt just like salt. Super concentrated though, tasted a bit and couldn't get the taste out of my mouth for hours!

That looks cool, must be great driving on that. What speeds did you hit? What do you do if you need petrol or does it look bigger than it is?

I didn't go that fast as I was a bit wary of getting too much salt in places on the car (the rental companies are wise to people doing this, had to get it thoroughly washed after!) Prob hit about 120mph and then backed off, 120 in what is essentially a Vauxhall Insignia was more than enough!

The place is utterly massive, it goes on for miles and miles. In fact if you didn't have GPS you could quite easily get yourself lost.

Backing off the the flats is so dangerous because lift-off oversteer spins the car so easy.

I backed off gradually, didn't jump off the throttle so it was ok, plus the oversteer probably wouldn't have been a major issue given the miles of flat run-off :)

When you think about how far Breedlove went in '64 when his parachutes failed after a 526mph run its astounding

I have a couple of mates who have a salt racer , they were featured in a BBC program some years back but plan to return to Bonneville with it

http://www.saltbike775.co.uk/

When you think about how far Breedlove went in '64 when his parachutes failed after a 526mph run its astounding

I have a couple of mates who have a salt racer , they were featured in a BBC program some years back but plan to return to Bonneville with it

http://www.saltbike775.co.uk/

That's pretty awesome, totally on my list to go back again when a motorsport event is on :)