Thoughts on my 350z geo :-)

RobPhoboS

Good stuff.... Remember there's three pivotal points on the front upper adjusters rotating around the camber adjuster point so the incorrect side needs the camber backing off, then the castor pick up points can be used to set the camber/ castor in one hit, a bit like the Ferrari shims.

• Like 1

Joe is probably thinking "shut the hell up Tony we know what we're doing"...... But hay we all need reminders now and then it keeps us all in check. Fact is a lot of places won't touch a car with these sort of adjusters reason being 1: They are a bugger to adjust and 2: The cars modified so what do they set the chassis to?

A few simple laws need to be observed, all three pick up points need to be set 50/ 50 meaning 50% of the thread is inside of the carrier. Historically there is two thread adjustment ratios, fine = 15' of adjustment per rotation and course = 30' of adjustment per rotation so a good calibrator could look at the numbers and math the calibration in his/ her head. The only difficult part is the camber adjuster is stand alone but the castor adjusters will influence the camber position.

As for the actual geometric destination well that's another matter?.... The guys are very cunning because during set-up and measurement they will interview the owner and assess the intention, ability and expectation of the driver, reads a bit odd but let me explain..... Us mere humans are driving OEM cars designed to require no more than two Hz ps or in other words two inputs per second this we can do remote but modify the chassis the Hz ps goes up so the guys need to assess the driver between a nutter bastard type of driver or a nun on a house call..... Our immediate job is to tune the modifications not like most places who just set the chassis to OEM datum so in essence de-tune the modifications but it's also very possible the driver and chassis Hz don't get along meaning the car in that situation would be undrivable for that particular person.

All in all it's a hard call and takes years of training that cannot be found in any book....... So now you know so don't be surprised if 20 questions come your way tomorrow :D

• Like 1

Joe is probably thinking "shut the hell up Tony we know what we're doing"...... But hay we all need reminders now and then it keeps us all in check. Fact is a lot of places won't touch a car with these sort of adjusters reason being 1: They are a bugger to adjust and 2: The cars modified so what do they set the chassis to?

That sums up why WIM are so good , when it comes to modified cars you need to know what you are doing , stock settings wont work

Thanks and yes i'm extremely proud of the guys because they work a near impossible arena under a strict code of conduct.... They have ONE chance to get it evaluated, ONE chance to calibrate the chassis/ suspension and ONE chance to assess the drivers expectations/ ability. Get it wrong then the owner has to come back maybe 100's of miles, i would have to pay for hotels/ food and fuel plus the owner is rightly p**sed off, well that don't work in my book.

Little secrete is our benchmark for a daily driver modded car is 4 Hz ps , most people myself included would find this the upper limit of comfortable, track/ competition cars go higher depending on the series. 

• Like 1

This is exactly why I'm coming back, especially now that the front end has more adjustment as it goes far beyond what most places will be experienced with, let alone tailoring it to expected usage.
I think a few of the guys from the 350z forum are aware I'm heading over, and I'll ensure they know of this thread & WIM as well.
Oh how naive I was thinking I could adjust it myself  :D  :blush: (well, ok technically I adjusted it - to nothing useful)

Fair play for trying and in truth you probably gained more knowledge by trying...... Personally i learn by my mistakes and although i don't welcome them they hammer home the real world......

Braking news...... As most know i don't work at the centre now since my health went south but tomorrow i will be there :smile_anim:

• Like 1

Ah I had no idea, and I'm sorry to hear about this Tony.
However, I'm looking forward to meeting you and the WIM team  :thumbsup_anim:

I've absolutely gained a tiny bit of knowledge over the last few weeks regarding the suspension and brake system - whether I wanted to or not  :lol: I guess it's that little bit of engineer within that likes to know how things work.

(and a pre-warning, yes my rear tyres shall be replaced next week !)

Contrary to forum chatter tyre condition holds no bearing on the readings or results, in fact we don't even need the wheels on the car :o

Health well yes thanks for the kind words but none of us are getting any younger so things crop up tiss but my turn, nevertheless i still move walk and talk so i'll be there :smile_anim:

• Like 1

Many thanks for popping down today Tony, it was a pleasure to meet you, Joe and the rest of the team :thumbs:

I know 100% I'll not be going anywhere else to have alignments done, it was handled with superbly and far quicker than I expected !!!
I'm soo glad Joe figured out very quickly why I couldn't get the split pin through the bolt, as I thought it just required further tightening but it was just an additional collar that wasn't required in there  :) 

My drive back has only been on the M25 back into town, so nothing fun just yet but already the car feels far more relaxing to drive and changes direction nicely.
I should have the new adjustable anti-roll bars on by Saturday and will go for a proper drive Sunday morning  :smile_anim: 
I'll report back how it's feeling.

:thumbsup_anim: 

IMAG0549_zpsxc8pkmtz.jpg

Your welcome and it was great to meet you too...... Not being unable to get a pin in the castle nut meant something was wrong and it's our job to find out what and since we know the arms it could have only been the fittings which it was :smile_anim:

As i said to you yesterday you did a really good job getting the geo where it was all it needed was the correct balance of cambers front/ rear and that small amount of castor stagger to make it all work.

• Like 1

I should be out driving it tomorrow/sun.
I'll be installing the new Eibach adjustable anti roll bars, and a new set of rear boots  :) 

Looking forward to seeing how much the adjustable can affect the feel of the car now.

Where did you get the bars from ! I'm after some for my 370 but can't get a good deal

Hi, I get most of my bits and pieces from Adrian @ Torqen, he's nearly finished the website so it should be up soon but if not, you can PM him via the forum:

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/228-torqen/

Good prices, service and friendly. I've met him a few times, he's helped me out with my car and always kept me up-to-date with any orders  :) 

:banana-popcorn:

(excuse the ramblings here)

Soo, Saturday was pretty hectic !

Drove down to Farnham, installed the front ARB, then had the new rear tyres fitted (kept the old tyres for a track day or driver training day - repaired one, screw in it), then installed the rear ARB. No issues, I had to remove a bit of the rear exhaust in order to get the rear bar on but that was after 30 mins of farting around trying to do it without that... why I didn't just undo 3 bolts and then do it, literally took 2 mins after that  :lol: 

After that, straight up to the MOT garage.

Passed  :smile_anim: 

Back home to finish off a few odd jobs on the car, finally done around 9pm, finally ate something after 28 hours of no food  :D and straight to bed.

Sun morning, just woke up in time as a friend came over with his NSX, it's one of my icons and I hadn't ever sat in one before... let alone drive one ! (same with the F50, first time to sit in one, then drove it)

So despite the poor weather, he drove around for a while, we're both very enthusiastic about the NSX (he has 3 or 4!), then he said, go for it see what you think !

Wowza, WHAT A CAR !!!

Beautiful in every respect, quicker than the numbers suggest and just a dream to drive on the road. The only aspect I wasn't keen on was the electric steering, it's very light in feel but the fuse can be pulled if wanted. It wasn't horrible just overly light.

That v6 induction howl is intoxicating, and it just pulls and pulls to the redline.

After an hour or so we swapped back over to my 350z, the seating position felt really weird initially but in terms of handling, just as neutral and compliant with a totally different exhaust driven noise. My steering is far heavier and a pleasure to drive hard but it feels like it could do with a little more sharper turn-in.

I don't know if that means I should try the front ARB on the stiffer setting (currently set to soft on the front, and mid on the rear - 2 settings for the front, 3 for the rear) or if it means we could have a little more camber front and rear ?

(I'm told the rear should be able to get up-to -2 on the stock bar but I don't know that for sure)

Oh and next month, I must install a short shifter, the precision on the NSX shift is a pure joy to use.

Lastly - regarding the rear camber - I do have an unused Eibach 'PRO-ALIGNMENT Camber Bolt Kit'
'Rear - Camber +/-3.0, Toe +/-3.0 Degrees Of Adjustment'

I forgot I had those sitting in a box  :blink:

note:
Of course an adjustable camber arm and 'lock out' bolts would probably be better, as I gather these type of bolts can slip over time/use.

I've met Adrian , pm'd him a couple of times on the forum and not had a reply :(

That's strange, I know the last couple of days it's been pretty crazy for him but he's been superb at getting back to me.

What's your name on the forum ? or another way is to post here:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/94693-torqen-lowest-price-370z-arbs-camber-arms-braces-etc/

Are you finding the turn-in slow or does it feel like it's under steering?

It feels a little bit slow, certainly not as bad as before I came down that's for sure.

I haven't pushed on enough just yet to induce any understeer but it's feeling very neutral which is good.

Rich - Adrian should have sent you a PM now  :)